PDA

View Full Version : SIII Ex-Mod Gauge Questions

canyonero
11-01-2011, 08:29 PM
So, before I make it any worse, can anyone give some pointers on replacing the bulbs on my instrument panel? I took the panel out, but can't get it out enough to get a clear view of the backside, and where the bulbs may go. I ordered screw in type from our hosts, but it occurred to me it may be push in type. Lastly, it popped in my head that the speedo may not even be illuminated on my SIII Ex-mod. I have read the wiring diagrams, but it doesn't seem to help me when everything is still hooked up and running, especially considering PO modifications. The switches in place are for the fan, wipers, an empty socket, and a switch that was labeled with an arrow that said dash lights. Flipping that does nothing, and hasn't since I have owned it, all the others work, and the exterior lights are controlled through a six way switch in the center of the dash. Ideally I would rip everything out, replace what needs to be replaced and re-install, but I don't have the electrical wherewithal. Any thoughts are very welcome.
Thanks

SafeAirOne
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
The warning lamp (charge, cold start, main beam) sockets just clip straight into the hole. You just pull them forward and they come out facilitating bulb change. The actual gauge illumination lamps--Not sure, never had to do them.

ca_surveyor
11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
There is a switch to turn on and off the dash lights. I replaced my switch, and it still sometimes doesn't want to work without moving it back and forth (then hit a bump and off they go again). I'm going to bypass the switch and have the dash lights come on when the headlights do. I found that the lights are dim, at best.

On mine, 1973, I believe that the bulbs were push in type.

cedryck
11-02-2011, 11:18 AM
there should be a socket on both the speedo, and combination gas gauge to insert a small 12v lamp.