PDA

View Full Version : just to be cautious

rejeep
11-05-2011, 08:29 AM
i know there are several methods..
I have done a few of them myself..

but just to be cautious can somebody tell me the best way to get the 2.25P to TDC?

I have used the finger in the #1 plug hole before with great luck
but if I take the rocker cover off what am I looking for with the #1 valves?

siii8873
11-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Starting at TDC both valves will be closed, ~1/2 rotation later the exhaust valve will open to exhaust the burnt fuel, It will stay like this for 1/2 a turn. Then the exhaust will close and the inlet will open. This will be a down stroke pulling fuel into the cylinder. Bothe valves will close again as the pistion compresess the fuel air mixture. At this point when the pointer gets to the TDC mark you should be there about another 1/2 turn.

I have removed all but the #1 plug and you can feel the compression stroke as it approaches TDC as you turn engine and watch marks.

jcutler
11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Check this out. Elegant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7IdW4Qxcc

east high
11-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Check this out. Elegant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7IdW4Qxcc

That's pretty slick.

Billy5
11-15-2011, 08:46 PM
A friend of mine rigged up something similar, but he used a whistle. Good stuff!

westcoastkevin
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
A dial indicator with a long extension and a degree wheel. Mark the angle 0.050" both sides of TDC and then go to the midpoint. Dead on accurate. Actually you do not even need the degree wheel at all.
Kevin

o2batsea
11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
With the valve cover off, both rockers on #1 should have play at TDC on the compression stroke. You can also watch the pushrods as the engine goes thru one cycle (2 complete revolutions of the crank) to see which stroke is compression It's the one after the intake valve opens when the piston is coming up.
Remember, it's suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

antichrist
11-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Another way to confirm is when the timing mark is TDC and the rotor is pointing to plug one. This of course assumes the engine hasn't be messed with.