PDA

View Full Version : pertronix for proline distributer

Alk-3
11-05-2011, 02:45 PM
hey Everyone. I bought the following distributer:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-7196-distributor-225l-series-iia-iii.aspx
and have installed it in the truck successfully, but the pertronix ignition that I had on my old distributer does not fit. I tried to make it work, but it's just not going to happen.
Does anyone know if pertronix makes an ignition that works with this distributer?
had I known this distributer was different from the one i had on the truck, i would not have bought it, so I'm a little frustrated about that.

albersj51
11-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Was your old dizzy a 45d, 25d, or a ducilier (spelling?)?

badvibes
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Here's a link to a similar problem off another BBS. Has descriptions and pictures that you may find helpful.

Jeff

http://siteground237.com/~gunsandr/showthread.php?952-Pertronix-Install

Alk-3
11-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure which one the old one was, i will have to check. it doesn't much matter really though because its worn out, and I'm not planning to use it again.
regardless of what the old one is, does anyone know if pertronix makes an ignition for the Proline distributer?

Alk-3
11-06-2011, 11:57 AM
okay, i just checked, its the 25D and the vac advance diaphragm is broken and non functional..
maybe i would be better to replace the vacuum advance on my old 25d and keep the proline with points for a backup..
sooo.. anyone know where i can get a new vacuum advance for the 25D?

badvibes
11-06-2011, 01:38 PM
does anyone know if pertronix makes an ignition for the Proline distributer?

Yes they do. You need to tell them if you have the 45 with the red points (LU143) or the blue points (LU144). The LU142 is for the 25D dizzy.

I rebuilt 2 25Ds with a buddy of mine for our 2 trucks, we're still running points. We got lucky and bought a bunch of parts a couple of years back and there were several 25Ds in the lot of parts. Enough to assemble a couple of working dizzies. I don't know who might have new or NOS vacum assemblies. Have you tried our hosts?

Jeff

jac04
11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
...does anyone know if pertronix makes an ignition for the Proline distributer?

Yes they do. You need to tell them if you have the 45 with the red points (LU143) or the blue points (LU144). The LU142 is for the 25D dizzy.

Jeff, were you working on Proline distributors when you installed the Pertronix?

It's my understanding that the Proline distributors fit the engine, but are not the same internally as a Lucas distributor. The Proline distributor actually takes a different set of points than the Lucas distributor. This would mean that the Pertronix made for the Lucas wouldn't fit the Proline.

Alk-3
11-07-2011, 04:46 PM
the pertronix i have for the 25d (LU142) does not fit the proline.
I have ordered a whole new distributer from pertronix, and will keep the proline with points as a spare.

PavementEnds
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I just installed a Pertronix distributor (D176600) to replace the original Lucas 25D, mostly because the vacuum advance in the original is reversed in direction since it was originally part of the complicated USA emissions system (mine is a 1973), most of which was subsequently removed by the PO. The Pertronix distributor went in fine but watch the retaining collar: mine was bent out of shape so I had to flatten it so that it would hold the new distributor tightly in place. I also replaced the pinch bolt because it was badly bent so you might want to take a look at that. There is no cork washer with the Pertronix but that does not seem to matter. Seems to work fine!

badvibes
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Jeff, were you working on Proline distributors when you installed the Pertronix?

It's my understanding that the Proline distributors fit the engine, but are not the same internally as a Lucas distributor. The Proline distributor actually takes a different set of points than the Lucas distributor. This would mean that the Pertronix made for the Lucas wouldn't fit the Proline.

jac04-

You may be right. My experience with the Proline dizzy was with points. The red type. I rebuilt a 25D which I'm currently running because the Proline wasn't exactly what I wanted. My buddy ran a 45 with the blue points and tried a Petronix unit in it, which he couldn't get to run right. He also went back to a 25D we rebuilt. The 45 he tried the Petronix in was most likely a Lucas. So no I have not personally installed a Petronix unit into a Proline diz. I've just dealt with the 2 different points sets in the 45s. Out of curiosity where did you discover that the Proline internals are different? I can find points sets online that are the red type but they don't seem to mention non-compatibility between Lucas or other brand dizzies? I ask as I would like to get some replacement points for the Proline diz and have it as a back up.

Jeff

jac04
11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I ask as I would like to get some replacement points for the Proline diz and have it as a back up.
The RN web site lists points specifically for the Proline distributor, which are different for the ones listed for the Lucas units.

badvibes
11-07-2011, 06:49 PM
The RN web site lists points specifically for the Proline distributor, which are different for the ones listed for the Lucas units.

Thanks for the correction/info.

Jeff