PDA

View Full Version : Squealing noise when braking '96 Disco

ramosr
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
I recently changed my 2 front rotors on my 1996 Dicsovery I. I installed new brake pads and repacked the bearings with high tempreature grease. I used anti squeal brake lubricant on the back of each pad to minimize noise when braking. Unfortunately, the car is generating a loud squeal from the front wheels whenever I press on the brakes to stop the car. The squealing begins after i've driven the car for about 3 minutes of continuous braking. The squeal usually occurs at low speed braking. for example when slowing down for a traffic light. Can it be the way I tightened the adjusting nut on the hub? Could I have overtightened the nut?

slorocco
11-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Many new brake pads come with a "bedding in" procedure to prevent glazing the pads. Did yours come with such a procedure? If you didn't bed them in they may be glazed over a bit. It might just wear off or you could pull the pads and scuff them up a bit.

Another possibility is that the particular pads you used are just going to perform that way all the time. I've had pads that were that way, they just squealed every time until they warmed up.

SGFMORover
11-17-2011, 12:30 PM
just my 2 cents... I've gone to using wagner thermo quiet pads on everything I work on. work well, wear even, and never had a squeek out of them on anything... some things are worth a little extra $ to keep from driving you nuts.