PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Issue ??

Arrington
11-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I am having a grounding issue. When something is not grounded, my blower for heater will not work, turn signals, gas gauge will not work, and wipers will not work. Any ideas? Is there a main ground some were that is making all of these items not work? Its a hit and miss deal. Like this morning they work and this afternoon they don't or just the opposite. Any help appreciated. Thanks Jason

siiirhd88
11-07-2011, 09:15 PM
The power supply to the fuel gauge, turn signals and wipers are all fed from the solid green wire circuit off of the fuse box. A white (unfused) wire from the ignition 'on' circuit should feed the fuse box spade connector on one end of the fuse, the green wire(s) should be on the other. The heater fan should have its own seperate fuse, but that depends on where the P.O. might have it connected.

I would check power before I would look for a common ground, as the turn signals are grounded at the lamp wire connectors and the wiper motor has its own ground.

The four fuse SIII fuse box is a standard Lucas type, known for loose or corroded riveted connections over time.

Bob

I am having a grounding issue. When something is not grounded, my blower for heater will not work, turn signals, gas gauge will not work, and wipers will not work. Any ideas? Is there a main ground some were that is making all of these items not work? Its a hit and miss deal. Like this morning they work and this afternoon they don't or just the opposite. Any help appreciated. Thanks Jason

SafeAirOne
11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Bob hit the nail on the head. BTW, you don't mention what series Rover you have or whether it is + or - earth.

Arrington
11-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Its a 1966 series iia negative earth.

Terrys
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Its a 1966 series iia negative earth. That being the case, clean and tighten (squeeze them together a bit) the terminals of the fuse block on the bulkhead. Better yet, replace it with a good fuse block using spade fuses.

Arrington
11-08-2011, 05:25 PM
While we are on this subject, does anyone make a good wiring harness for these series trucks. I guess what I mean is a wiring harness that is better than what factory? Seems like the factory wire on these series is a issue, mines not cut up or anything. But seems like connections are a issue.

LaneRover
11-08-2011, 08:20 PM
That being the case, clean and tighten (squeeze them together a bit) the terminals of the fuse block on the bulkhead. Better yet, replace it with a good fuse block using spade fuses.

A good way to clean the terminals is some fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil.