PDA

View Full Version : Best Manual for Newbie...

localsonly
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Gang,
I am a total NEWBIE mechanic getting ready to start working on my 1973, Ex-MOD, SERIES III, 109.

Aside from the PDFs I downloaded at landroverweb.com, what book or manual would you all recommend I get? If it helps give you an idea on where I am starting... I have never changed the brake pads on a car.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can give!
Rob Alford
Navarre, FL

stomper
11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
The AAA manual lists all of the garages and phone numbers to call when you break down on the road. I'd start with that.:D

TedW
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Hi Rob:

Welcome! You will have lots of fun and will get very good (if, at times, conflicting) advice from posters on this forum. Ask lots of questions.

Sometimes you will be asked to refer to an earlier thread for an answer - that's so you can read all the responses and benefit from the points of view of different people.

The Land Rover Service Manual - aka The Green Bible - is a must have, in my view. But for clarity and concise descriptions of different procedures you can't beat the Haynes Manual, in my view. I bought mine 20 years ago when I was starting out with LR's and I still use it today. I always seem to be going to it.

Just my opinion - good luck!

Ted

albersj51
11-08-2011, 12:18 PM
X2 - Both are very helpful. Also consider getting a parts guide/manual.

Hi Rob:

Welcome! You will have lots of fun and will get very good (if, at times, conflicting) advice from posters on this forum. Ask lots of questions.

Sometimes you will be asked to refer to an earlier thread for an answer - that's so you can read all the responses and benefit from the points of view of different people.

The Land Rover Service Manual - aka The Green Bible - is a must have, in my view. But for clarity and concise descriptions of different procedures you can't beat the Haynes Manual, in my view. I bought mine 20 years ago when I was starting out with LR's and I still use it today. I always seem to be going to it.

Just my opinion - good luck!

Ted

localsonly
11-09-2011, 05:55 AM
Hey guys,
thanks for the replies... $56 dollars worth of books/manuals on their way from amazon!

thanks again,
rob

slorocco
11-09-2011, 07:51 AM
I'd second both recommendations. The only other one that I might recommend as sometimes helpful, but not really a requirement, is the LandRover Parts Manual. It helps a lot with part numbers and drawings.

TedW
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I'd second both recommendations. The only other one that I might recommend as sometimes helpful, but not really a requirement, is the LandRover Parts Manual. It helps a lot with part numbers and drawings.

The parts manual comes in VERY handy.

The SIII parts manual will probably cover most of what you need, although there may be a specific MOD parts manual (or supplement) you won't be able to live without.

I have a 1970 IIA, which means that I have the late IIA parts manual AND the NADA supplement, which includes all the stuff unique to North American trucks - like those nifty 4" amber lenses that now go for $50 or so on ebay.

You just can't have too many manuals.

mrdoiron
11-09-2011, 02:56 PM

I'd also recommend a 3rd book, on "how to keep my wife happy while I spend time and money on the oil dripper" ... would be a good investment upfront.

mike