PDA

View Full Version : selector spring seals.....

kwd509
11-13-2011, 06:53 AM
I replaced selector seals yesterday and to my relief was able to get the forks back in and the whole thing reassembled. The gearbox shifts much more easily now, and hopefully when it is back in the vehicle everything will check out.

IN reassembling, I had the choice of replacing the selector spring seals. But the Old vs new parts were considerably different. Old were form fitting rubber washers that fit nicely. Replacement were simple hard plastic washers........and seemed less of a fit. I opted for the used (but in good condition) rubber as opposed to plastic that seemed not so pliable. A little dab of RTV was added to the end of the spring to help with sealing.

Notwithstanding the stories I of rebuilding rover components, changing seals and gaskets only to face the same leak they had before.........

Anyone think I should have used the new plastic seals? It certainly is easy enough to change at this point......?

jac04
11-13-2011, 08:38 AM
I would have done exactly what you did. I actually added a thin piece of rubber between the retainer & rubber seal to help seal them. It seemed to work well - the spring seals seem to be the only thing that isn't leaking.