PDA

View Full Version : Shipping from UK

siii8873
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I am looking to buy a part from the UK. I asked about shipping and the individual responded
"if you arrange the collection yourself then yes i will wrap & post it out to the usa"

Anyone know what it takes to do this?

Thanks

mongoswede
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
I am looking to buy a part from the UK. I asked about shipping and the individual responded
"if you arrange the collection yourself then yes i will wrap & post it out to the usa"

Anyone know what it takes to do this?

Thanks

what is the part? If its small it can just go through the post. I have had motorcycle parts shipped from a vendor in the UK and they used DHL to ship...it wasn't too expensive and it got here faster than another part I ordered at the same time which came from California.

mearstrae
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Not sure what they mean by 'you arrange to pick it up'. But I had an overdrive unit shipped from the U.K. by DHL and it got here before the gaskets from Calif did. The price was less than I paid to ship another overdrive unit to Calif by UPS.

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S

jac04
11-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I think they want you to arrange & pay for the shipping. They will pack it & bring it to wherever you want - DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc.

o2batsea
11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Just be sure to use the "right" DHL or Fedex. My Ashcroft gearbox was just sent via DHL Air Freight and involved me having to clear it thru customs, which took two tries. DHL put the wrong air way bill number in the computer.
All things being equal, use Fedex. DHL is a German company. Fedex, American.

albersj51
11-14-2011, 11:27 PM
I just had a bunch of engine parts shipped.over from the UK and it was a very quick and easy process. They used DHL and it was reasonably priced. I would call DHL, FedEx, whomever, and discuss it with them. They can tell you what you need to do. If its a large item requiring a container or less than a container, then you're in for a headache. If its a part in a box or envelope then it should be pretty painless.

cedryck
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
I ordered a wiring harness, and some other smaller, (read not heavy) parts from across the pond. They arrived within 9 days, regular mail, decent postage cost. I would consider doing more buisness from suppliers in UK if and when the prices in USA are out of control.

jac04
11-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I would consider doing more buisness from suppliers in UK if and when the prices in USA are out of control.
IMO, prices on a lot of Genuine parts are out of control here (no offense meant to our hosts, and I bought/buy a lot of parts from them). However, you can save yourself a lot of money buying from the UK if you need lots of parts in one shot. I saved thousands of dollars on my Lightweight restoration using lrseries.com and PA Blanchard.

Regan
11-17-2011, 08:47 AM
If the company selling the parts offers freight services, suggest you use and pay for freight with purchased product. That way, it is simpler and cost efective. Used DHL for heavy parts I had to get from England for rebuild and it was delivered in 2 days! Shipping vcost was very reasonable as well. Good luck.

greenmeanie
11-17-2011, 12:17 PM
UPS will go to an address and pick up a shipment if it is pre packaged and paid for. You purchase the shipping on line and send the label to the seller by e-mail. They print and attach and wait for the brown van.

mongoswede
11-17-2011, 01:41 PM
IMO, prices on a lot of Genuine parts are out of control here (no offense meant to our hosts, and I bought/buy a lot of parts from them). However, you can save yourself a lot of money buying from the UK if you need lots of parts in one shot. I saved thousands of dollars on my Lightweight restoration using lrseries.com and PA Blanchard.

I have been talking to a local business that imports a lot of big vehicles for sale into the USA. They bring in a fair number of Unimogs etc and he was saying that a lot of $15000 trucks in the USA are really an $8000 truck in Europe but the cost of importing raises the price. So what you end up with is often a ratty overpriced truck thanks to cost of shipping and import and any profit said importer is trying to make.

jac04
11-17-2011, 03:23 PM
I have been talking to a local business that imports a lot of big vehicles for sale into the USA. They bring in a fair number of Unimogs etc and he was saying that a lot of $15000 trucks in the USA are really an $8000 truck in Europe but the cost of importing raises the price. So what you end up with is often a ratty overpriced truck thanks to cost of shipping and import and any profit said importer is trying to make.
Buying parts direct from the UK is completely different than buying a vehicle that came from the UK through an importer. Buying parts, you know exactly what you are getting for your money, and you know how much you are saving versus buying it through an importer.

mongoswede
11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Buying parts direct from the UK is completely different than buying a vehicle that came from the UK through an importer. Buying parts, you know exactly what you are getting for your money, and you know how much you are saving versus buying it through an importer.

:thumb-up:

siii8873
11-17-2011, 04:59 PM
am looking to buy something from an individual not a company.
I have bought a number of things from companies and ebay from UK and the seller takes care of things, This person wants me to arrange everything.

mongoswede
11-18-2011, 07:51 AM
am looking to buy something from an individual not a company.
I have bought a number of things from companies and ebay from UK and the seller takes care of things, This person wants me to arrange everything.

sounds like they want to open their front door and hand the package to the delivery truck. It can be arranged....you will just have to talk to the delivery companies about costs and options

gchinsr
11-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I buy a lot of parts in the Uk, and find a lot of seller just dont want to go out and ship the boxes. Its a UK thing. I have used interparcel.com and parcel2go.com, as they price all the main shipper, and you simply pay for the shipping, and they pick it up if packaged. It is cheaper to use them than going directly to UPS, FedEx, and DHL
Greg

east high
11-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I buy a lot of parts in the Uk, and find a lot of seller just dont want to go out and ship the boxes. Its a UK thing.

I'll attest to this. PITA. I definitely have reservations about doing it again.

gchinsr
11-19-2011, 11:02 AM
I dont know what problems you speak of. I have brought containers, LCL, and single shipments, and never had an issue. If the seller wont help with other than boxing it up, you can easily make arrangements yourself. With container, and LCL it all about proper paper work, and that is not difficult at all really.