PDA

View Full Version : Aux light idea

transalpian
11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Has anyone tried wiring the relay for aux lights in parallel with the high beams? In other words, I'd like tge aux lights to come on with the high beams, but the aux lights need to be on a seperate circuit.

Any issues with this idea?

SafeAirOne
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
That's the way Hella says to do it in their instructions (well, the preferred way, anyhow):

http://www.roversnorth.com/web/downloads/instructions/hella/hella-500-wiring-diagram.jpg

transalpian
11-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Cool, so it must work!!

One question, what does the switch do in this config? Does it allow the aux lights to not come on with the high beams?

(thanks for the diagram)

SafeAirOne
11-14-2011, 08:41 PM
In both diagrams, the switch controls power to the relay. When the relay is energized, a second, separate circuit is switched on, sending power directly from the battery to the aux lights.

In the top schematic, the switch controlling power to the relay gets 12 volts from the high beam wire, which is only energized when the high beams are on of course. If the high beams are on, the switch will turn on or off the aux lights only.

bkreutz
11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
By law, in Germany (where Hella originates) driving lights can only come on with the high beams (not by themselves) just as fog lights can only come on with the low beams. The switch allows the lights not to come on, but if in the on position they will come on when the lights are on (fog or driving depending on which beam is selected)

transalpian
11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
So if I omit the switch, the aux lights will come on with the highbeams.

Any real reason to include the switch (ignoring dot reqmts)?

bkreutz
11-14-2011, 11:23 PM
You may want the ability to turn them off depending on weather conditions (glare)

SafeAirOne
11-15-2011, 01:27 AM
In the case of off-road lights, you will blind other drivers WELL beyond the range that ordinary high beams should be dimmed.

transalpian
11-15-2011, 06:27 AM
In the case of off-road lights, you will blind other drivers WELL beyond the range that ordinary high beams should be dimmed.

That is a very good point, thank you!

Next (related) question: mount on the front bumper or on the roof rack?

Bumper mounting gives low light and easier wiring (both distance and wire chases).

Roof rack mounting puts the light up high but much harder to route the wires (from what I can see). I'm also not interested in cutting a hole in the roof.

I plan on using these to suppliment my headlights on my ever-darkening morning commute. Is bumper mounting better?

Thanks!

LaneRover
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
It may be illegal to use the lights on the road if they are mounted on the roof rack.

jac04
11-15-2011, 07:37 AM
I plan on using these to suppliment my headlights on my ever-darkening morning commute. Is bumper mounting better?
Yes, bumper mount them. Lights on the roof look cool, but you will get glare & distraction from the front of your vehicle being lit up. Check your local motor vehicle codes for allowable height for the lights.

You may want to focus on upgrading your existing headlights before investing in aux lights. Hella makes a very nice replacement 7" round replacement headlight. Run the lights directly off the battery using relays. It makes a big difference.

Now, if you are serious (really serious) about lighting, then you may want to cosider HIDs. You probably have to modify the headlight buckets, but the results will be worth it. Check out the Sylvania Xenarc Xe7R bi-xenon lights here:
http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=267

More selection here:
http://www.suvlights.com/index.php?cPath=23

SafeAirOne
11-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Now, if you are serious (really serious) about lighting, then you may want to cosider HIDs. You probably have to modify the headlight buckets, but the results will be worth it. [/URL]

Results will be worth $688 (the cost of just the pair of headlights)?? I dunno. Wouldn't be worth it to me. You can get [URL="http://www.installergadget.com/servlet/the-5978/NIGHT-OWL-OPTICS-NOBG1/Detail"]night vision goggles (http://suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=267)for that much and completely solve your lighting issues. ;)

jac04
11-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Have you ever had a car with HID lights? I have, and they are incredible.
You just need to put the cost into perspective. If they can keep you from getting into an accident or hitting a deer/moose, then $700 is well worth it.

masonater
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
I saw these on a Icon Toyota this summer and they are pretty bright and a very nice looking light.
http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27250C-Round-Headlamp-Inches/dp/B002IFRROM

albersj51
11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
Ive thought about HIDs for mine, but think they may be too bling. However, they are awesome! My daily driver has them and I love them. I upgraded the fog lamps as well and they make a big difference. I am pretty sure you could do it for far less than $700. All you need is a housing with projector lenses (7" ones are out there for cheap, check fleabay), and an HID kit (ballast and ignitor) with the correct bulb. These are fairly cheap as well. If you go this route, I would mount the box on the frame as they do get hot and I dont know how the aluminum would like it.

What Jac04 posted is a good, high quality, "plug and play" solution. However, for those on a budget, it can be done for significantly less.

jac04
11-15-2011, 01:37 PM
However, for those on a budget, it can be done for significantly less.
Yes, it can, but the results will be poor at best. Using low budget projectors with a retrofit HID kit may produce a lot of light, leading you to believe that it was an awesome upgrade, but scatter & hot spots will make it downright dangerous for other drivers. Cheap retrofits are not even close to being on the same level of performance & safety as factory or the legal Sylvania HID systems. Plus, they are illegal.

albersj51
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
I disagree. My personal experience has shown otherwise. A friend of mine has a 5-series BMW that had standard halogens. Had he purchased the OEM Hellas, it would run $1100+. He went with a company called Depo that has a knock-off version for roughly $200. I helped him install and adjust these properly and the light output, beam and cut-off are excellent. In fact, the cut-off on these is actually better than the factory ones on mine. As far as illegal, no, these are 100% legal and do not blind other drivers on the road. We verified this before he drove it around.

Buying the proper housing with an adjustable projector lens (not a standard lens where the light is bounced off of the reflective backing) should give you no problems.

I've seen the Honda's where they stick HID's in a non-projector housing and yes, those are hideous, dangerous and illegal. I am by not advocating this by any means.

I'm sure there are some truly crappy ones out there, so buyer beware. However, if you research it, and get the right parts, you can put together a good system on your own for far less.

Yes, it can, but the results will be poor at best. Using low budget projectors with a retrofit HID kit may produce a lot of light, leading you to believe that it was an awesome upgrade, but scatter & hot spots will make it downright dangerous for other drivers. Cheap retrofits are not even close to being on the same level of performance & safety as factory or the legal Sylvania HID systems. Plus, they are illegal.

jac04
11-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I thought we were talking about the 7" round lights on a series rover. Not sure what a 5-series has to do with it. Either way, if you piece together a HID system in place of a 7" round headlight with cheap components, the legality will be questionable at best. There are legal HID lights that are direct fit for the 7" round lights, they are just expensive. You get what you pay for (or spending the $$ on legal lights is cheap insurance when the old lady that just ran into you says to the police officer "his lights were blinding me, I couldn't see a thing"). I guess we could just keep going back and forth, so I'll bow out now.

yorker
11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Has anyone tried wiring the relay for aux lights in parallel with the high beams? In other words, I'd like tge aux lights to come on with the high beams, but the aux lights need to be on a seperate circuit.

Any issues with this idea?

Just a suggestion but you might want to update your current headlights' wiring first? I've often seen people complain about their Rover's headlights only to find out they are running 30 year old tungsten bulbs with 45 year old wiring and while running the heater and the windshield wipers... ;) Redo the headlight harness with a good set of relays, make sure you have good halogen sealed beams from a reputable source. Consider upgrading your alternator. If you have a IIa with the lights in the radiator panel you might want to think about bumper mounted auxiliary lighting to help spot deer. You might not have to spend a ton of money to get a pretty significant upgrade in lighting.

mongoswede
11-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Just a suggestion but you might want to update your current headlights' wiring first? I've often seen people complain about their Rover's headlights only to find out they are running 30 year old tungsten bulbs with 45 year old wiring and while running the heater and the windshield wipers... ;) Redo the headlight harness with a good set of relays, make sure you have good halogen sealed beams from a reputable source. Consider upgrading your alternator. If you have a IIa with the lights in the radiator panel you might want to think about bumper mounted auxiliary lighting to help spot deer. You might not have to spend a ton of money to get a pretty significant upgrade in lighting.

+1

Some general improvements for medium outlay of cash can have phenomonal improvements in electrical performance. On other vehicles I have replaced the battery power and grounding straps with 2 gage welding cable and copper crimp ends. This wire has very little resistance drop....you will find all electrical components work noticeably better. Also the original rover wiring rely's on 2 or 3 fuses. It would not be difficult to lay a modern headlight harness into a rover and still use the stock switches to turn them on and switch from high to low. The actual wiring is fairly simple and you could use one relay for each side and proper gaged wire for even more light output. Swap your original light housings out with the 5" aftermarket H4 units and the difference between a stock rover and yours will be night and day.

If you want to add driving/fog lights in the harness is very similar to the headlight harness only you will pull power off of your hi or low source in the headlight harness to power your aux light relay. One word of advice: don't ever use crimp locks...they are cheap and dirty and not properly sealed and make a mess of a wiring harness.

transalpian
11-17-2011, 07:02 AM
I'm already running Halogens through a relay.

You may want to focus on upgrading your existing headlights before investing in aux lights. Hella makes a very nice replacement 7" round replacement headlight. Run the lights directly off the battery using relays. It makes a big difference.

Does anyone know if the Hella replacement lights (above) can take larger bulbs? On the RN page, H4 100/80 bulbs are shown "in connection" with these conversions, but I'd like to know for certain.

jac04
11-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Does anyone know if the Hella replacement lights (above) can take larger bulbs? On the RN page, H4 100/80 bulbs are shown "in connection" with these conversions, but I'd like to know for certain.
Yes, the Hella lights take H4 bulbs and the 100/80 bulb will fit, but I would not recommend using it. The problem is that the Hella Vision Plus lights being sold in the US meet DOT specs and have a poor beam pattern as compared to the Hella E-Code 7" round lights. The DOT lights allow for quite a bit of scatter. More info here: http://www.rallylights.com/Vision_Plus_Information.aspx

Hella makes a 100/55 H4 bulb. If you are simply looking for high beam performance, then get this bulb.

I would suggest getting the E-Code 7" round Hella lights:
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=739 I have run the E-Code lights on all my Rovers with both 60/55 and 100/55 bulbs. The 60/55 bulbs are fine for all around use and the 100/55 bulbs offer great high-beam performance. Just make sure that your wiring & relay system is designed to take the wattage of the lights.

yorker
11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm already running Halogens through a relay.

What about your charging system though? Lucas Dynamo?

mongoswede
11-17-2011, 08:17 AM
IPF makes much nicer headlamps then Hella. The quality of the reflectors and durability of the lens is much much better then Hella. I believe they offer a 7" replacement.

jac04
11-17-2011, 10:00 AM
^^ Did a little research on the IPF lights and you're right - it looks like IPF may be the way to go along with the special IPF bulbs.

See here:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ipf/

greenmeanie
11-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I thought we were talking about the 7" round lights on a series rover. Not sure what a 5-series has to do with it. Either way, if you piece together a HID system in place of a 7" round headlight with cheap components, the legality will be questionable at best. There are legal HID lights that are direct fit for the 7" round lights, they are just expensive.

You need to check your state laws on that. In many places converting any vehicle that did not originally have an option for HID is illegal regardless of how much you spend.

I have had Audis with HID and I have halogens on my trucks. I can't say the HID gets me excited enough to think it necessary. I'll add +2 on Yorker's comment. This link (http://madelectrical.com/electricaltech/brighter-headlights.shtml)makes interesting reading.

mongoswede
11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
^^ Did a little research on the IPF lights and you're right - it looks like IPF may be the way to go along with the special IPF bulbs.

See here:
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ipf/

i run the "special" bulbs in my saab along with the E code headlight lens's...they work very nicely. 80w low/ 60 watt high eqivalent to a much higher wattage halogen bulb.

transalpian
11-17-2011, 01:43 PM
i run the "special" bulbs in my saab along with the E code headlight lens's...they work very nicely. 80w low/ 60 watt high eqivalent to a much higher wattage halogen bulb.

So these have a higher wattage low beam than high beam? Tough to really see from all the online info.

mongoswede
11-17-2011, 01:46 PM
So these have a higher wattage low beam than high beam? Tough to really see from all the online info.

yes. The thought being that the low beam is already being limited on light projection so they put more light out on low beam to compensate for the pattern cuttoff. They work very well and my E code lens's have a very defined pattern that works well.

transalpian
11-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Ordered the ipf lights and bulbs this morning. Will report back on the results.

LR Max
11-22-2011, 07:33 AM
To your original answer, yes, you can rig up the lights so they turn on when you hit the high beams. To add to that, I've seen one shop that added an extra switch to allow for you to do this. I think this would be the best way to go.

As for the best aux lighting, LED light bars are THE BEST. Blow away everything else, including the price :rolleyes:. Superior light, compact, durable and low amperage requirements. Of course I've bought Honda's for less than what they are asking for a decent light bar so you get what you pay for. LED light bars are the standard now for Baja and KOH rigs, it seems like.

I run a pair of Hella FF300 "cat eyes". Decent light, nothing earth shattering but considering I've only needed them 3 evenings and one early morning this year, they work just fine. If I was using them everyday, then I might consider either a stock headlight upgrade or upgrading these.

mongoswede
11-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Check out www.rigidindustries.com (http://www.rigidindustries.com) they make some really rugged and nice LED lights. I have a pair of the 2x2 spots I run on a motorcycle. 15 watt draw per light, fantastic output, easy wiring.

To your original answer, yes, you can rig up the lights so they turn on when you hit the high beams. To add to that, I've seen one shop that added an extra switch to allow for you to do this. I think this would be the best way to go.

As for the best aux lighting, LED light bars are THE BEST. Blow away everything else, including the price :rolleyes:. Superior light, compact, durable and low amperage requirements. Of course I've bought Honda's for less than what they are asking for a decent light bar so you get what you pay for. LED light bars are the standard now for Baja and KOH rigs, it seems like.

I run a pair of Hella FF300 "cat eyes". Decent light, nothing earth shattering but considering I've only needed them 3 evenings and one early morning this year, they work just fine. If I was using them everyday, then I might consider either a stock headlight upgrade or upgrading these.

transalpian
12-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Ordered the ipf lights and bulbs this morning. Will report back on the results.

Installed yesterday. Night becomes day. Seriously.

These are nice lights, really bright, with a great cut off. I am very pleased.

Fyi, I run a sms wiring harness/ relay system and have a lucas alternator. (the delco 10si upgrade is the next project.

Thanks for all the advice!!

transalpian
11-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Since this is my thread, and I seem to think about lighting every year at this time, can anyone post a close-up picture of aux lights mounted to the bumper? Any hints on wiring routing?

The IPF lights are still great, I just want more light for these long dark morning commutes. I'm thinking about the Hella 4000 Euro Beam Driving lights.