PDA

View Full Version : Alpine roof reassembly guidance needed

knac1234
11-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Hello all,

So this weekend, or next at the latest, I should be reassembling the main roof to the gutter. That I understand how to do and have the adhesive and proper rivets.

I need some guidance with the vent installation. I have pieces in bags that I have never seen together, so hence the question. The parts diagram helps, but it is still unclear to me.

1. I believe the vent assembly is installed from the roof interior/underside of the roof with the round gasket in between? Riveted or screwed in place???

2. The vent retaining rings (that mount against the headliner and fasten to the vent assembly).....riveted, or screwed in place?

In the diagram there is a picture of a spring clip (with quantity 12 noted), but I cannot figure out in which location they go, not to mention the proper quantity needed for all 4 vents.

Any help appreciated. I am usually good at this when I take something apart, but receiving it disassembled after a decade in storage......

If anyone has done this and has step by step pictures, that would be even better!

Cheers,
Julian

luckyjoe
11-15-2011, 02:27 PM
The roof to gutter is easy. After the roof and gutter surfaces were prepped, I supported the roof, inverted, on saw horses. Next I applied a bead of 3M marine adhesive, and with a helper, lowered the gutter onto the roof panel carefully aligning the holes. 10-32 bolts/nuts area perfect fit for the rivet holes, and were used to temporarily join the roof to gutter. Next we flipped it over, and began replacing bolts with rivets.

knac1234
11-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks Tom.....

Ordered the marine adhesive, which should be here tomorrow. Bolts are a good idea to hold it in place while riveting.

More confused on the assembly of the vent components into the roof itself.....hoping for someone that has one and knows the answer or can take a peek under the retaining rings of the vents.

Regards,
Julian

luckyjoe
11-16-2011, 09:33 AM
No experience with the tropical vents.

Check you local home center, mine stocks the 3M marine adhesive.

Sputnicker
11-16-2011, 10:20 AM
1. I believe the vent assembly is installed from the roof interior/underside of the roof with the round gasket in between? Riveted or screwed in place???

2. The vent retaining rings (that mount against the headliner and fasten to the vent assembly).....riveted, or screwed in place?

In the diagram there is a picture of a spring clip (with quantity 12 noted), but I cannot figure out in which location they go, not to mention the proper quantity needed for all 4 vents.

I just did this on my top:

1) Correct - they're installed from the underside. I bought the foam gaskets, but didn't like the fit. I used 3M Strip Calking instead, because it was similar to what was already there and I've always had god luck with it. I used screws (as did Land Rover). Rivets would probably work fine.

2) Screws also on the oval vent rings.

3) The spring clips (aka speed nuts) were attached to the front vents, which were deeper than the rear vents because of the depth of the headliner. Not sure if all the tropical tops had both depths. the 12 speed nuts secure the oval vent rings to these deeper vents.

knac1234
11-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Sputnicker-

Thanks, that helps with the puzzle!

From memory, 2 of the vents are indeed deeper, however I assumed they would go in the rear of the roof, since the roof line increases from front to back (at the half way point or so). I thought the deeper vents would need to hang down farther so that all 4 vents were the same height when the headliner is installed?????

Julian

o2batsea
11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
If you use 3M 5200 you will never be able to separate the gutter from the roof ever again.
I would recommend a sealant that can be removed. Good old DAP Alex plus is all you need, and you can clean it up with a wet sponge.

ThorH
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
Just took mine apart. The deeper vents definitely go to the front. The trim rings on the front vents were held on with the spring clips and screws, the rear trim rings were riveted.

knac1234
11-17-2011, 08:06 AM
ThorH-

Thanks very much for the pics and insight...helps very much! I would never have thought the deeper vents went in the front!! It appears that the vent assembly is riveted from the outside top of the roof also (so, from the underside shown, vent assembly/gasket/roof underside and rivets coming in from the exterior/topside). I'll take any and all pics you have related to your disassembly if you could either post them or I can PM you with my email address :thumb-up: I am looking forward to having this style roof on my 88.....something great about taking something stored on 2 separate pallets, and in bags in plastic bins, for 10-15 years and getting it back in service!!!

Julian

ThorH
11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Some of the rivets were from the inside and some were from the outside. I'll go back and see if I have a closer shot.

I can't wait till I'm on the re-assemble side of this project!

knac1234
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks again Thor.....yes, I am avidly waiting to drive it again!! Hopefully first week of December.

Julian

ThorH
11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Well, this is a close as I can get. If you zoom it in, you can get a pretty good idea the directions of the rivets. You'll also note the rivets are the sealed type. Hope it helps!

-Thor