PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Help

Max(SD)
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
1959 Land Rover Series 2, 2.25 petrol, 4 spd transmission, no overdrive.

Was driving it this morning as I usually, and started to here a clunking noise while in gear between 2nd and 3rd. I was 3/4 of the way to where I needed to go, so I decided to continue. On my way back started it up and while in neutral could here a clunking noise coming from the gearbox. Drove about 100 feet and then nothing, no gears, no reverse, no 1st or 2nd gear three and fourth would catch but with lots of clunking.

I am going to have a towed to my home, what do you guys think?

Clutch?

Transmission rebuild?

Syncros?

any advice will help.

There is a local Rover repair shop, but they estimated around $4500 to rebuild transmission including install. That is way more than I want to spend. So this will be a project.

Thanks.

albersj51
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
I would drain the fluid and see what comes out. Also, pull the top cover and get a look inside.

$4500 to rebuild it!?!? WOW! Our hosts sell rebuilt IIA units, including the transfer case, for $2,400.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2286-gearbox-assembly-wtransfer-box-rebuilt-series-iia.aspx

SafeAirOne
11-17-2011, 02:16 PM
There is a local Rover repair shop, but they estimated around $4500 to rebuild transmission including install. That is way more than I want to spend. So this will be a project.

Your local Rover repair shop must do a lot of Range Rovers. :eek:

It is a good project--Very educational and not terribly difficult. Presuming your transmission is an original 1959 SII, I wonder what differences there are compared to later transmissions and what the availibility will be on any unique parts.

Les Parker
11-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Have you tried reverse?
Sounds like the reverse idler maybe touching the layshaft gear.
Let us know when you drain and inspect the trans. oil.

Max(SD)
11-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Ok, just got it towed into my garage, I have to hide all the knives in the house, as my wife is going to kill me with another project. I have one car already on jacks, with the entire suspension removed that is being restored, and now the Landy.

The reverse does not work at all, I can feel second trying to catch just hear a grind, and there is 3rd and 4th have some grab but lots of knocking.

Will try to drain the fluids tonight and will report back.

How do I determine whether this transmission is original to the car? Are there any identifying numbers and where are they located?

Thanks all, this will be another interesting winter project.

jumpmaster54
11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
When I bought my 1967 Rover it came with a spare tranny and transfer. I would sell it for a fair price if your interested. It is just occupying a space in my garage.

Sarge

SafeAirOne
11-17-2011, 03:43 PM
I might check a few easy things first--the transfer case to make sure it's not worked its way toward neutral and the mainshaft nut under the larger inspection plate on the transfer case to make sure it hasn't loosened.

albersj51
11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
It may be hard to determine if its "original", but perhaps this chart (attachment) will help narrow down whats in there.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.Chassis_Numbers.suffix.IIA.html

Ok, just got it towed into my garage, I have to hide all the knives in the house, as my wife is going to kill me with another project. I have one car already on jacks, with the entire suspension removed that is being restored, and now the Landy.

The reverse does not work at all, I can feel second trying to catch just hear a grind, and there is 3rd and 4th have some grab but lots of knocking.

Will try to drain the fluids tonight and will report back.

How do I determine whether this transmission is original to the car? Are there any identifying numbers and where are they located?

Thanks all, this will be another interesting winter project.

Max(SD)
11-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Spent just a little time on the Rover tonight, I was concentrating on my other project that I have to get parts out for powder coating.

I was trying to figure what type of transmission. I am assuming it is original to the car, 1959, but could not find any markings. Can someone tell me where there would be markings on the transmission. I have not drained the fluids yet, so not sure what's happening inside.

SafeAirOne
11-17-2011, 11:22 PM
Can someone tell me where there would be markings on the transmission. I have not drained the fluids yet, so not sure what's happening inside.

On the gear selector shaft cover, on the right-hand edge. Shoud be a serial number.

o2batsea
11-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Buy this (http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=82) I just bought an R380 from them. Shipping was very reasonable. About 2 grand to you all together. You have to take out the seat box, and the transmission goes in thru the door. All you need is an engine crane, and a few wrenches. Badda bing.

yorker
11-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Where are you located? SD= South Dakota? For $4500 I'd drive out there and repair it. That is nuts, they must cater to people with $$$. It is surprisingly easy and cheap to rebuild these- don't be afraid to take it on.

Max(SD)
11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Located in Bend, OR, the SD was from previous life when we lived in San Diego

antichrist
11-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I'd pull it out and open it up and see what's wrong. You may get away with a fairly inexpensive rebuild. As stated, they aren't complicated, just take your time.
I'd pull the bottom cover from the transfer case and have a peek, to make sure it's not something there, but from the description I doubt it.

Worst case, order a SIII from Ashcroft.
If you want to keep a SII case in it I'm sure you could find one on one of the UK forums, or Guns and Rovers.

east high
11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Not wanting to thread jack, but is it necessary to unbolt the bellhousing when doing a tranny swap, or can you leave it, the clutch, etc. bolted to the engine and only remove the body of the trans? I know I've done it this way on other vehicles.

slorocco
11-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Not wanting to thread jack, but is it necessary to unbolt the bellhousing when doing a tranny swap, or can you leave it, the clutch, etc. bolted to the engine and only remove the body of the trans? I know I've done it this way on other vehicles.

Bellhousing attachment to the tranny is a little more complicated in an old rover. Bottom line answer is no

antichrist
11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
The bell housing is connected to the transmission case by nuts inside the bell housing. So regardless of the other parts that are connected, you wouldn't be able to.

Max(SD)
11-20-2011, 12:08 AM
Ok, had some time tonight, took the cover off of the transfer case, and nothing looks loose . Also took the transmission cover and floor out, to get a better look at the gearbox. As you can see in the photo those are the only markings that I could find on the gearbox. Can someone decipher. Is this pre 1960 as this is a 1959 truck. So when it comes time to order parts do I use suffix A for Series II?

I will try to drain fluids tomorrow and see if anything comes up.

Max(SD)
11-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Another quick question. Assuming I have to rebuild the existing gearbox. Is it possible to rebuild with full syncro, or I an only able to rebuild with 3rd and 4th gear syncro?

albersj51
11-20-2011, 01:53 AM
Another quick question. Assuming I have to rebuild the existing gearbox. Is it possible to rebuild with full syncro, or I an only able to rebuild with 3rd and 4th gear syncro?

I'm pretty sure neither the 2 nor 2a gearbox can have synchros in 1st and 2nd; that would require a series 3 box.