PDA

View Full Version : Pickup cab 109 mounting

masonater
11-18-2011, 11:10 AM
I have a PU cab that i have never installed before on my 109. Does anyone have a photo of the brackets that are used to attach the back part of cab to the tub? Any home-made ideas? 4 brackets from RN will run me around 100 bucks. I'd like to think someone out there has a better option. Thanks!

antichrist
11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I've done it with just long bolts.

masonater
11-18-2011, 12:18 PM
I've done it with just long bolts.

I can see that bolts will work on the front mounting holes near where your shoulder would be...however along the back egde I dont see any suitable holes that would work with through bolts.

disco2hse
11-18-2011, 03:08 PM
What part numbers are you talking about? What four brackets?

Firemanshort
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Bolts and washers will do it.

Les Parker
11-18-2011, 04:20 PM
I looked at the later Defender brackets (AQU500140), metric fittings, and these are available by Special Order for around $10.00 each.

FYI.:D

disco2hse
11-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Bolts and washers will do it.

That's what I did. Still on there ;)

antichrist
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
This is the proper part number, but you can use bolts
http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=104405

siiirhd88
11-18-2011, 09:19 PM
There are four brackets along the back cab edge. The brackets are just angle with a special bend, with a 5/16-24 threaded nut welded to the bottom of the bracket for the mounting bolt. Two 1/4" bolts with nuts mount the bracket to the bulkhead. If you are handy you could bend some up, or weld a piece of flat stock to an angle to fit.

Bob

antichrist
11-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Those are PN 336577.

badvibes
11-19-2011, 05:16 AM
siiirhd88-

I also have a truck cab I'm working on. Could you post some basic dimensions for the brackets in your pics? Width of the bracket, measurement for the centers of the 2 bolt holes on the bulkhead, where the 4 brackets are located along the bulkhead? I'm thinking of your suggestion to bend something up, without the nice radius, like you say some stock with the right bends. It'd be nice to have them in the right locations should I run across the original brackets in the future. It does look like a person could fab something workable in the meantime. Thanks. Apology for the hijack.....

Jeff

siiirhd88
11-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Jeff,

I'll measure and post the demensions tomorrow. There were dimples in the capping for where the two 1/4 mounting holes are currently located.

Bob

siiirhd88-

I also have a truck cab I'm working on. Could you post some basic dimensions for the brackets in your pics? Width of the bracket, measurement for the centers of the 2 bolt holes on the bulkhead, where the 4 brackets are located along the bulkhead? I'm thinking of your suggestion to bend something up, without the nice radius, like you say some stock with the right bends. It'd be nice to have them in the right locations should I run across the original brackets in the future. It does look like a person could fab something workable in the meantime. Thanks. Apology for the hijack.....

Jeff

Partsman
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/bioheat/Truckcabbrackets002.jpg

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh113/bioheat/Truckcabbrackets001.jpg

siiirhd88
11-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Jeff,

With the end of a tape measure resting on the inside of the body side, the centerline of the outer bracket is at 5 3/8", the centerline of the inner bracket is at 22". The brackets are 2 1/2" wide and about 1 7/8" in height. The centerline of the two mounting holes is 1 3/4".

Due to the slope on the face of the capping, the faces of the bracket are not at 90 deg. On my factory brackets the bracket bends forward about 1/2" before being bent backwards to make the flat for the cab to bolt to.

I would just bolt the cab in place just behind the doors using the long mounting studs, ensuring the window gaps are set correctly. Once you have the cab where you want it, the location of the four holes on the horizontal flat edge along the cab surface will tell you where the brackets need to be mounted. You need to center your mounting brackets at that point and just fangle your brackets......

Bob

siiirhd88-

Jeff

badvibes
11-20-2011, 06:25 PM
siiirhd88 & partsman-

Thanks for the pics and dimensions. I laid the back of the cab top out with the metal plate that mounts between it and the bulkhead, and combined with your info it all seems to make sense now. Thanks!

Jeff

siiirhd88
11-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Jeff,

I'm not sure how the cab will mount if you are working with an SWB 88. I haven't tried the cab on my 88 yet...... I know the filler plate is needed to span the gap between the cab back and the bulkhead, which is a few
inches further forward in an 88.

Bob

siiirhd88 & partsman-

Thanks for the pics and dimensions. I laid the back of the cab top out with the metal plate that mounts between it and the bulkhead, and combined with your info it all seems to make sense now. Thanks!

Jeff

badvibes
11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
Jeff,

I'm not sure how the cab will mount if you are working with an SWB 88. I haven't tried the cab on my 88 yet...... I know the filler plate is needed to span the gap between the cab back and the bulkhead, which is a few
inches further forward in an 88.

Bob

Ah ha moment here..... I didn't realize that the positon of the bulkhead was different between the 88 and the 109. Makes sense though. I may not even need the brackets that bolt to the bulkhead. The filler plate may suffice. I won't know for sure til after the 1st of the year though, I have a hunt in Jan that I'm leaving the full top on for. I need it to mount my roof top tent. After that I'll get after it to swap the full top for the cab top. Thanks again for the info.

Jeff