PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Billy5
11-19-2011, 04:32 PM
I have been thinking about getting a back up for my dd series. I am going back to college in January, and perhaps it may be prudent. Now, I just happen to come across a 95 RR LWB. 175,000 miles, spring conversion done. Body and interior decent. It is $2500 or best offer. Am I nuts for even thinking about it? Its right around what I was looking to spend anyway..

msggunny
11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
I have been thinking about getting a back up for my dd series. I am going back to college in January, and perhaps it may be prudent. Now, I just happen to come across a 95 RR LWB. 175,000 miles, spring conversion done. Body and interior decent. It is $2500 or best offer. Am I nuts for even thinking about it? Its right around what I was looking to spend anyway..

Whats going to be your backup for the RRC???

slorocco
11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
The series is going to be easier to troubleshoot and less $$$ to repair when things go wrong.

I do love the LWBs though. Still wish I hadn't got rid of mind.

o2batsea
11-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Don't be intimidated, they're generally easy to work on and trouble free if you keep after the maintenance. If you buy it you will want to do the following:

All new belts and hoses
Tune up kit including cap rotor plugs wires
Transmission filter
Change all fluids including diffs and swivels
New brakes, even if PO just did them
AC checkup

Probably due:
PS box shaft seal kit
Radiator
Head gaskets
exhaust Y pipe/cats
lift struts
fuel pump
CV joints
Shocks
Steering damper

Probably broken and unrepairable without huge labor and expense:
Seat heaters
alarm system
radio
sagging headliner
worn leather on driver's seat
center console
interior wood trim

Unseen gotchas that make life miserable:
rotten window regulators
rust under the floor mats
ABS faults
Bad HEGO sensors
Rotten exhaust
heater broken
wiper motor

If you are lucky and ding a ling didn't rip out all the EAS stuff you may be able to restore it with a set of bladders. That's all it took for mine, along with one new height sensor (one got bent which prompted the PO to scrap the EAS for coils) the unlock software (free) from RSW solutions. You have to make a special comm cable for a few bucks worth of Radio Shack and British Wiring parts.
EAS is dreamy, and way better than coils despite all the bad press.

73series88
11-21-2011, 02:55 PM
i wouldnt get the rrc
i had one and it was the most unreliable vehicle i have ever owned
ever ything went wrong with that truck
i ended up giving it away because there was so much wrong and the parts were insanely expensive. i just couldnt trust to drive it anymore.
imho.
aaron
my series has been my daily driver for almost two years and i havent had
any issues that i could fix right there and keep going
in case of a major issue i could call on my wifes 2011 mazda 3.
but she has never had to come bail me out on the side of the road.
from my experience, stay away from the rrc.
aaron

Billy5
11-21-2011, 09:00 PM
WELL, the RRC is out..lol. I had to laugh at the back up for the back up. I just happened to see it for sale and thought. I am new to series let alone RR. I drive mine everyday, as I did purchase it as a dd. Hence finding one that wasnt mucked with to badly. I was also thinking about something, for those times I am working on it and I just cant get it done in time for me to use it again ( like work). But I have to say other than fixing POs items, it has made a great dd. Granted I dont go far very often. Because its my dd, I tend to stay on top of things. It was a thought, and thats why i consulted the masses who know more than i do.:)

73series88
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
yeah
i keep up on mine because it has to be reliable.
there was basically nothing there when i bought it so
ive had to replace or rebuild eveything
shes no trailor queen. but she been great. last witer i was coming home from work in one of those really bad snow storms. just me and the plows.
if you keep up with it it should be fine.
aaron

Billy5
11-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I have been replacing things as they come up. No need for me to "find" a problem. Removed some old wires ( which is really all I am concerned with now). Its not the system so much, its the age of the pieces. Mine isnt a queen either, I mean is it great shape..yes. Up to me to keep it that way. As my only mode of transport ( besides wifes car but she works too), I have to take care of it, and do the little service items that possibly would be ignored if it werent. I was hoping to get to CT this weekend but cant. I was looking forward to meeting more folks and checking out their trucks for ideas.

siii8873
12-20-2011, 05:03 PM
buy a second series truck as a backup!! That's what I did. An advantage to this is most parts fit either vehicle, less spare parts required.

73series88
12-24-2011, 07:22 AM
i like his thinking.
if i didnt have the mga project in the garage
i would have a second series. but i had to sell the harley to get the mga.
is anyone noticing a patern here?
aaron

Billy5
12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Now heres a funny story. My boss tends to be a little prickish. He broke my chops everytime I had my hood up ( checking oil etc..) Oh look a Land Rover with its hood up again.. Alas, my turn has come. I was interested in his Volvo 240. That is until it pooped the bed and has sat for three weeks because he has no idea whats wrong ( I say its his catalytic converter clogged). So I go over to my truck and twist the key and give him a smirk..lol. Yes I am sure I jinxed myself. But there goes my "back up" car.

73series88
12-31-2011, 06:57 AM
ha ha!
aaron