PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel oil spray

Cutter
11-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I just did a valve adjustment and oil change on my 2.6 (not as easy as it sounds considering i have to take the wing apart to do exhaust valves. Not difficult but a bit of a pain. In preperation for the end of happy wrenching conditions i thought about what else needed attention.

Thought I'd ask before ordering blindly, but both my front wheels are covered with a thin spray of oil whenever I get going on the highway for any period of time. I have locking hubs which generally are pretty grimy as well. Just curious how big a job this is and what the typical culprit is. My swivel balls are showing some pitting so if this is a bigger project I may throw those into the mix. Thanks in advance for your guidance.

antichrist
11-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Depends on where the leak is. If it's from the locking hubs/drive member that's certainly easier than if it's from the hub seal.
Neither is a difficult job, just fiddly.

Cutter
11-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Are seals for the locking hubs readily available? Googling Fairey Hubs doesn't show much.

east high
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Are seals for the locking hubs readily available? Googling Fairey Hubs doesn't show much.

It all depends on the hub. I couldn't find any aftermarket support for the Faireys either. Your leak might be at the hub/flange surface, in which case all you'll need is a hub gasket.

ThorH
11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't the FWH use the same seal as the drive flange to hub? I picked up a set of the Faireys also. So I would be curious.

east high
11-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't the FWH use the same seal as the drive flange to hub? I picked up a set of the Faireys also. So I would be curious.

Yep. Some FWH have internal seals, like the Warns.

Cutter
11-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Alright, I suppose I'll order the hub seal set that our host sells and go to town. It is hard to say what is leaking given the dispersal on all surfaces, so I'll go step by step. I saw an image on Pangolin 4x4 of my FWH brand new and it looks like there's a paper seal shown. http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/fwh/fwh.html

east high
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
I saw an image on Pangolin 4x4 of my FWH brand new and it looks like there's a paper seal shown. http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/fwh/fwh.html

Yep, that's the paper gasket that goes between the hub and drive flange. Nothing FWH specific about it.

antichrist
11-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Are they the Fairey's that look like this?
http://www.pangolin4x4.com/pangolin4x4/reference/lib/fwh/faireyhubs.jpg

Or the really old ones? If they look like above I think there is a large O-ring that fits in the groove in the drive member.
Similar to the newer Selectro hubs.

Cutter
11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Yea they look like that, but black :) if it is just an o-ring in can probably source from mcmaster or grainger.

cedryck
11-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Hey, I have those Fairey lockouts, where can I get a rebuild kit, just in case, cheers. :rolleyes: