PDA

View Full Version : head light switch question

john connelly
11-21-2011, 08:54 AM
72 series 3 -88 --- head light switch works with parking lights- does not work with headlights. headlights do flash on for a second as i move the switch from- headlight position to Parking light position. any ideas? a bad switch- bad connection. thanks john

SafeAirOne
11-21-2011, 10:42 AM
If you are getting a momentary flash from the headlights as you trun the lights witch to the headlight position, then it sounds like an iffy switch to me.

My dome instrument/dome light switch likes to do this and it is usually cured by cycling the switch several times to the Dome position (headlight position in your case).

artpeck
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I would say iffy switch. On my Defender I had the same situation. Contacts were burned from the current load going through the switch. In that case I upgraded the headlamps and installed a relay so that the current load on the switch was minimal. If you are going to change the switch out you might consider doing the same. An easy modification.

73series88
11-21-2011, 11:33 AM
yeah i had to change mine
went out on the highway at night
used my hella's to get me to a parts store
10.00 switch off the shelf and all has been fine since.
sorry RN.
aaron

john connelly
11-21-2011, 01:42 PM
thanks for the replies. going to get a new switch before i take the dash panel apart. like to keep the rig as original as possible -going to try to find an OEM switch. thanks john

cedryck
11-21-2011, 03:01 PM
some folks like to replace much used switches with something a little more sturdy, like something from a marine store, they usually are waterproof and a bit better built that some OEM parts. :thumb-up:

artpeck
11-21-2011, 05:05 PM
thanks for the replies. going to get a new switch before i take the dash panel apart. like to keep the rig as original as possible -going to try to find an OEM switch. thanks john

Keeping it original was why I installed the relay. Admittedly not fully original if you look very carefully under the hood but fully original inside. Did this after reading many posts of light switches burning out from the current load.

john connelly
11-24-2011, 05:41 AM
i replaced my headlight lamps recently- wonder if the new lamps draw more current and put the strain on the switch. if so the relay would be the answer so i do not have to replace switches. any thoughts. thanks john

mearstrae
11-24-2011, 07:12 AM
You'll probably need a new switch as well as the damage is already done, but adding the relay will protect the new switch.
[Keep in mind, Lucas switches have only three positions: Dim -Flicker-Off]

'95 R.R. Classic LWB
'76 Series III Hybrid 109
'70 Rover 3500S