PDA

View Full Version : interesting meeting

siii8873
11-22-2011, 07:24 PM
well I was driving home yesterday and took a right turn and then started to take a quick left into a gas station. I just started the turn and bang someone hit me from behind. I looked in my rearview mirror ans saw red light bay on top of vehicle. It was a NY state trooper that rear ended me.
After the report, pictures, waiting for his sargeant (took an hour).
I asked what was next. he said I need to get an estimate for repairs. I'm struggling with this. Don't think the regular body shops can help me. They will want to go to a crash book and look up parts and get cost. I doubt a series rover will be in the book. I did call a few places in VT that work on series trucks but they don't do estimates, do work on T&M basis.
I'm going to go to a body shop tomorrow and talk to the guy. I can give him some parts cost and an idea of what it would take. Not sure where it will go.
Any ideas out there?

rejeep
11-22-2011, 07:50 PM
PM me the name of the officer, the srgt, and the town it happened in..
I am very friendly with a div capt. and will be more than happy to ask him what they need to see to pay out..

can you post some pics?

disco2hse
11-23-2011, 01:04 AM
And this is one reason why forums are so great.

PM me the name of the officer, the srgt, and the town it happened in..
I am very friendly with a div capt. and will be more than happy to ask him what they need to see to pay out..

can you post some pics?

Jim-ME
11-23-2011, 05:31 AM
What was damaged? Was it just body or did he hit to frame which bent the body work. If he hit the frame especially if it was a galvanized replacement I'd be really pissed not that I wouldn't be really upset anyway. Be very careful that they don't total it out on you but I bet you already knew that. I would try sending pictures to Matt Browne or ECR explaining what happened to you and how much damage was done and to what. You know Rovers well enough to know what's broken. They may be able to give you a better estimate than your local body shop. You could also add Jim Young (Mercedesrover) to that list as he not only works at a body shop he has rebuilt two very nice Rovers as well.
Jim

I Leak Oil
11-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I think a lot of the result will depend on the type of insurance YOU have on it(agreed value or not?)....unfortunately.....

I'm assuming you got them to admit to the fact that it's their fault? That in itself would be a significant victory!

Mercedesrover
11-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I work in a collision shop and write estimates, work with insurance companies handling claims, etc. for a living. It's a short week, it's hunting season and it's my birthday, but send me some pictures and I'll see what I can do for you. I'll pm you my contact information.

jim

smukai
11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
I've been through this on two different levels.

Depending on your insurance, you may have to fight with them a bit just to make sure it isn't totaled. Since it is so old, your standard insurance adjuster will look at the blue book, realize it isn't there and immediately say they are writing it off.

I showed them ebay listings for similar trucks that had sold and worked with them to prove that the truck was worth more than the $500 they had assumed.

No biggie, just be prepared for it.

On the other level, my brother was rear ended by a state trooper in Maine. Their insurance covered everything (totaled his pickup) so he bought it back, had it fixed up and drove it until it died. Because they hit you, they are hoping to get out of everything without a lawsuit or injury claim. And rear ending someone else is a black mark on their record.

Hopefully, all will work out. Good luck finding a shop that can give an estimate.

TedW
11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
So, I wonder what the deal is if you have classic insurance with an outfit like Hagerty? They must have this figured out.

I have my insurance with the classic / antique division of Geico, but, thankfully, have never had a claim.

My paranoid self can identify with the concerns about the insurance company just totalling your sled.

Mercedesrover
11-23-2011, 10:38 AM
So, I wonder what the deal is if you have classic insurance....

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times....You all need to have an "agreed value" policy. If you shop insurance and buy any old policy, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when something happens to your truck.

Cutter
11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I really need to do this, I gave up looking for an appraiser last time, anybody know one in new England they recommend?

Mercedesrover
11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
You don't need an appraisal, you need an insurance company that will write an agreed value policy. "I want my truck insured X amount of dollars" period.

albersj51
11-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Mine is insured through Hagerty, but I will be re-evaluating it against Chubb when I finish the resto. As Jim said, agreed upon value is extremely important.

siii8873
11-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I have attached some pictures. Jim I will send you some also to the contact you sent me.
I have ins through Hagerty at an accurate value of the truck. I had a message from the carrier working for state but cannot get back to them until next week.
The trooper caught the back left corner. Crunched the left quarter and rear panels. Also bent the support angle accross the back of the tub.
Frame looks fine except for the far left tab.

knac1234
11-23-2011, 01:14 PM
siii8873-

Sorry to read of the damage. Fortunately, it looks mostly cosmetic and repairable.

When you get to that point, to save you the time I spent searching everywhere for them, you can purchase a left 88 tub side panel NOS from Ike. ONLY place I could find them but for the UK. I think the very rear panels are easily obtainable.

Regards,
Julian

siii8873
11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Yea I have some cost estimates for a rear 1/4 and back panel, including shipping. Looks like I will have to wait until next week to get back to the group handling this for the state. I hope to get a check for the value of the repair and repair this myself as I see fit. Might be easier to get a decent 88 tub and change the whole tub. That is if I can find one. Anyone have a lead on one of those?

greenmeanie
11-23-2011, 02:14 PM
That's almost exactly the same ding got on my 88. In my case it was a friend who was following me and had a little clutch foot problem at a stop sign. Unfortunately for him I had my high lift mounted back there and it took out the front corner of his truck.

In my case I just took my truck down to the local power poles, strung her up between two of them with my recovery gear and used the high lift to straighten the corner of the cross member. Got a few funny looks doing that but it worked fine. Drilled the old spot welds, straightened the tub on the chassis mounts and used 3M8115 to glue the new panels on and rivets for the capping of course. Painting ain't a biggie.

My mate was pissed because I had mine straightened out enough to be happy to drive in a couple of hours. His pickup spent a month in a body shop having the front rebuilt.

The sum total is that I would repair it myself and figure out a sum that makes all parties happy.

Terrys
11-30-2011, 12:14 PM
The sum total is that I would repair it myself and figure out a sum that makes all parties happy.
I agree. I do worse damage every time I get in mine. Well, maybe not my 110, but I don't put my series trucks on any pedestals anymore.
I'd get Jim to give you an appraisal. He's not exactly an unknown in the biz, and I suspect he knows a few peeps in the Salt Point barracks too.

To me, the pics look like the total value of all the goodies you've been obsessing about in the RN catalog, plus the cost of a box of pop rivets, quart of bondo and a case of Ten Penny Ale. (plus the environmental fee)

siii8873
12-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I have sent the quote I received to the NYS insurance carrier. Got a call today from an appraiser that works for them to look at the truck.
Wonder what he knows about rovers?

Mercedesrover
12-06-2011, 08:21 PM
He won't know anything about Rovers and will want to get this thing off his plate and get back to writing damage on Toyota Corollas. Tell him to be fair with you and write a fair sheet and he'll never hear from you again. He just wants to get past this claim and make it go away.

siii8873
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
I don't think he will be able to look this repair up in his crash book.
I'll have to spoon feed him some information.

Partsman
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times....You all need to have an "agreed value" policy. If you shop insurance and buy any old policy, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when something happens to your truck.
So here's a question, does an agreed value policy effect the amount of excise tax you end up paying, or does the town use a different actuary table for determining this?

jac04
12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
^^ Not in CT. Actually, in CT if you register your vehicle as an antique, you pay property taxes on $500 maximum. In Mass, I believe your excise tax is based on the original sticker price with a devaluation based on how old the vehicle is. The actual market value of the vehicle is irrelevant.

Found the link for Mass:
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleIX/Chapter60a/Section1

Mercedesrover
12-07-2011, 07:41 PM
My trucks are registered in NY State. CT DMV are confirmed bastards and would never register a new-framed, re-powered old truck with a riveted on VIN tag. New York state was just easier. Bonus: New York State doesn't have property tax on vehicles.

jac04
12-08-2011, 05:59 AM
CT DMV are confirmed bastards and would never register a new-framed, re-powered old truck with a riveted on VIN tag.
I never had any issues with CTDMV. They never questioned the screwed-on VIN tag on my 63. On my Lightweight, I had our local State Trooper perform the VIN verification. No problems at all with the riveted-on VIN tags (although they were still held on with the original rivets). Both were full restorations with new frames and the Lightweight got an entirely new engine.

Partsman
12-09-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks, I'm trying to convince my wife to do one of these policies, but she was worried about excise tax. The sales tax here was bad enough, Massachusetts doesn't charge sales tax on what you paid on a classic car, they charge sales tax on the NADA websites list value of your car, in my case that means they charge sales tax on $21,500.00 ! I paid less than $4000.00 what a State to live in I tell you!

siii8873
12-09-2011, 06:37 AM
your saying Mass values a series truck at over $20k? That's nuts there are not to many that go for that amount, surely the exception.

SafeAirOne
12-09-2011, 06:54 AM
they charge sales tax on the NADA websites list value of your car, in my case that means they charge sales tax on $21,500.00 !

At first, I thought you were crazy, but it turns out it's NADA that's off their rocker. Here's NADA's idea of the value of a '65 88:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7020/6481534083_3d7588688e_z.jpg

Jim-ME
12-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Mark,
Where in heaven's name to you keep finding with this stuff? :D
Jim

LaneRover
12-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Thanks, I'm trying to convince my wife to do one of these policies, but she was worried about excise tax. The sales tax here was bad enough, Massachusetts doesn't charge sales tax on what you paid on a classic car, they charge sales tax on the NADA websites list value of your car, in my case that means they charge sales tax on $21,500.00 ! I paid less than $4000.00 what a State to live in I tell you!

Another reason to live in Maine and not Mass! Of course right now I am in Florida . . .

Partsman
12-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Well they don't call it Taxachusetts for nothing. These people up on Beacon Hill will stop at nothing to separate you from every penny you earn.:mad:

greenmeanie
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
AZ DMV not only questioned the screwed on chassis # plate but went as far as calling LRNA about it. Of course they were told it should be on the bulkhead which apparently is nto what we think it is and is in fact a fire wall. After much muffled cursing on the phone I e-mailed them the page from the parts book to explain that it was just a little matter of US vs UK english.

That was one of the better days in almost 9 months and many trips it took to beat them into submission to title my NADA 109.

jac04
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
^^I ran into the same question about the screwed-on VIN tag on my 63. Luckily, the owner's manual had a very nice illustration showing the screwed-on plate. I showed it to them an all was well.

Skookumchuck
12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
My vin tags are in the center console. The truck originaly came from the factory as a 109 2.5 diesel pick up. now it is a 109 5 door SW with a 2.25 gas motor soon to be a 200 TDI. I may have to leave it here in Canada and not bring it down to Missouri when we move next year. Anyone here have any experince with the Show Me State's DMV with old rebuild Series trucks?:confused:

SafeAirOne
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Mark,
Where in heaven's name to you keep finding with this stuff? :D
Jim

Right on the NADA.com website! I wish they'd buy my '73 109 at the price they have it listed! (well, they have only an 88 listed for 73, so the 109's got to be even more, right?? :)