PDA

View Full Version : Snow plow options

Skookumchuck
11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I am looking to mount a snow plow to the front of the Rover. I was looking at a Snowbear plow but I don't know if they have a mounting kit available for a series Rover. I have a bull bar and winch already munted is there any thing that can use the existing bumper and winch or do I need to change it all out to mount a plow. Any advise is appreciated.

cetesse
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Hi, search the archives. I had Ike build a custom bumper with a 2" mount. And then use the suv snow plow with.

DR has also just come out with a whacky plow that mounts to your tires. Worth a laugh to see.

Sincerely, Chris

SafeAirOne
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
I am looking to mount a snow plow to the front of the Rover... ...Any advise is appreciated.

Speaking personally, I'd just get a $500 beater yard truck to mount the plow to. These Rover chassis' are only 14ga steel.

Partsman
11-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Speaking personally, I'd just get a $500 beater yard truck to mount the plow to. These Rover chassis' are only 14ga steel.
Just an FYI, my father used a 1961 swb for 20 years to plow professionally with. Never a problem, he had a Fisher plow BTW, it fit on the front dumb-irons behind the bumper.

I Leak Oil
11-23-2011, 04:45 AM
Harvey, your father didn't happen to own a paving company in Webster did he? There was a little red 88" with a plow mount sitting behind a fence in their yard. It was taunting me for a good 15 years befor it went AWOL......Nice little truck.

Broadstone
11-23-2011, 04:04 PM
There will be a lot of naysayers out there telling you to use a different vehicle. It is your truck and you should use it in whatever way makes you happy. I learned that what I truly wanted was a work truck. No more babying it and not letting it see rain or snow. I wanted to build a work horse to perform the tasks I needed it to and that is what I did. I built the truck on a new galvy frame and bought a 7.5' meyers off a willys and built the underframe from scratch. I find it hard to believe that I am stressing the frame on my flat 80' blacktop driveway. I have already used it once this year with the freak Oct. storm with 14" of snow. I recommend doing it but you are likley to have to put time into fabrication to make it work on a series truck.

antichrist
11-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a Fisher plow.
They work fine on them. Mine is belt drive pump. You can also get electric.
Just remember, plow with the storm.

Skookumchuck
11-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I got the snow blower attachment working on the tractor for now but I will keep looking for a small plow as well. IF i keep it light and don't go nuts it should be okay. I drive the Rover all over in the Mountains so I don't think a little bit of pushing snow is going to hurt it to much. It has a new millitary galvy frame and I am not planning on working it to hard.

Partsman
11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Harvey, your father didn't happen to own a paving company in Webster did he? There was a little red 88" with a plow mount sitting behind a fence in their yard. It was taunting me for a good 15 years before it went AWOL......Nice little truck.

Yes he did, that was my first Land Rover, it eventually was sold to D.A.P. who restored it and passed it on to a new owner in upstate New York. They did a great job on restoring it too. It was a 1961 Series 2a. It's the reason I have the Rover disease today, and had to go and buy another to keep the symptoms under control. Do you live near there? I still live near there myself.

I Leak Oil
11-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Wow, small world! I stopped a couple times over the years to ask about buying it. Looked like a solid truck for sure.
Anyway, I got your PM and will take you up on the invite sometime. I'm only about a mile from your fathers old site. I drive a green 88" so if you see me come say hi!

Partsman
11-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Wow! Will do. After the first of the year, I'll be driving my 109 around town, if you see me wave me down, we can have a chat. I'll be posting pics of it pretty soon, as I'm finishing up the exterior soon.

Terrys
11-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Fisher made a plow specifically for the Series trucks called a Suburban back in the '70s. I had one and loved it. The lifting cylinder was on the plow, so when you took the plow off, there was nothing on the front of the truck except to chain hooks up in between the wings, and the two mounts on the frame. I remember it was $795 back then, but it made it's money over there years.

stonefox
12-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Skook- I have a complete 7' 6'' Fisher setup on a 109 in the yard.I'm going to be taking it off and selling it.Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side of the country. But if you are planning a road trip out East send me a PM.

graniterover
12-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Skook- I have a complete 7' 6'' Fisher setup on a 109 in the yard.I'm going to be taking it off and selling it.Unfortunately I'm on the opposite side of the country. But if you are planning a road trip out East send me a PM.

Sean, I'll take it. I have been looking for one of these rover plows forever.

Mark

stonefox
12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Mark shoot me a PM or feel free to call if you still have my #.

Skookumchuck
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
ya NY is a bit out of my way but so far this year we are not getting the big dumps of snow. Last year by this time we had over 5' of snow right now it is about 1". Hopefully me looking for a plow keeps the snow away:thumb-up: