PDA

View Full Version : Ignition / Headlight switch wiring diagram

pgeorgeson
11-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I am trying to put my 1966 IIa 109 back together after painting and removing the engine to replace the RMS. I did not do as good a job as I should have marking wires when I removed various wires. Can someone post or point me to a diagram of which terminals are which on the back of the headlight / ignition switch. (I am sure it is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it).
Thanks.

SafeAirOne
11-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Did you try the links to the wiring diagrams on the top of all the electrical pages in the Rovers North online series catalog?

Here's a direct link to the diagram (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/category/medium/LR-page83.pdf), but if you click on any of the sub-systems (windscreen wipers, Aux. bulbs, lens, charging, etc.) on the Series Electrical page (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-101-electrical.aspx), you'll see the links to the diagrams on the top of the pages that come up.

lrdukdog
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
TAW has it here.:thumb-up: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/ignSW.htm
Jim Wolf

SafeAirOne
11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
TAW has it here.:thumb-up: http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/ignSW.htm
Jim Wolf

Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?

pgeorgeson
11-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Thanks.

lrdukdog
11-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?

Ok but, you knew there would be a "but" didn't you?:D I would have to take mine off to see (1966 SIIA) are the contacts etc. in the corrct places if so then I would say try it out and see. It is probably like most things Land-Rover ie, there is nothing standard from one to the other as far as parts go. I guess some switches had the letters and some didn't.
Jim Wolf

Billy5
11-24-2011, 07:23 PM
If your switch is like my 2a then maybe I can help. There one post on the back by itself, this is the feed to the switch. The rest are "tied" meaning power is shared to two posts. So brown/blue brown on one, white with purple ( starter solenoid) etc. Use a test light once you have power to the switch turn it on. There will be one post that doesnt not have power until you turn the switch to start then off when you release it. This should be the starter solenoid post. The rest is lights.

TeriAnn
11-24-2011, 07:37 PM

The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

There were no numbers on the combination ign./headlamp switch.

SafeAirOne
11-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Ahh...so the labels on your diagram are just there to assist folks in figuring out what to plug into each terminal...Gotcha.

IIRC, the first SIII ignition switch I replaced had the terminals numbered exactly the same as the wiring schematic, but the one I replaced a few months ago had them labeled completely differently. No bearing on the OP, but I figured they might be labeled the same as on the schematic for those "old" Rovers. ;)

pgeorgeson
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

Mine is a combination headlight/ignition switch. Billy5's post is helpful to track it down, but I was hoping to find a diagram of that type of switch that shows everything (I need it a simple as possible based on my complete incompetence).

pgeorgeson
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM
I am following up on this. I still haven't found a wiring diagram that has the same configuration/markings of my switch, which for clarification is a combination headlight/ignition switch on a negative earth 1966 IIa. (The diagrams for the positive earth IIa's that I can find show two different switches for the ignition and headlights, with the posts identified by number: The diagram for the positive earth IIa has some of the same letters that my switch has, but they are not all the same).

My switch has an outer ring and an inner ring. The inner ring has two posts tied together, and is marked "ign." I think I can figure that one out.

The outer ring has the follwing posts on it (they are a little hard to read, but I think these are the markings):
"A"
"S&T"
"PRS3"
"H"

As if you were talking to a 3rd-grader, please tell me what those posts are and where the wires go that are coming to and from those posts. (please understand that I realize these are dumb questions, but if I could figure it out without your help, I wouldn't be asking them).

Thanks for your help.

pgeorgeson
02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Any help here?

LaneRover
02-28-2012, 07:45 PM
S&T means Side and tail lights
H is headlights
not sure about the PRS3, is that on the outer ring or next to wear the key goes in?
Also not sure about A.

I can't help you much with the wiring other than the fact that the headlight current goes from the battery to the switch and all the way to the lights, same with the side and tail lights.

Sorry I am not more help

milhouse
02-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" ;) I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?

LaneRover
02-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" ;) I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?

Ignition/coil power supply?

ignotus
02-29-2012, 03:23 PM
H= blue wire to headlight dip switch
IGN=white wire to fuse box
white wire to warning light, fuel level
white wire to warning light, oil pressure
white wire to warning light, charging
A=brown w/white runner to ammeter
S=red to side lights
red to tail lamps/ number plate illumination
red to switch, panel illumination

On series 2a
A=brown w/blue runner to voltage control box

On series 3 the positions seem to be numbered 1-4 in my repair manuals. 1 at 12 o'clock, 2 at 3, 3 at 6, 4 at 9.
In all my manuals the IGN is shown in the 2 o'clock position for the series 2 and for the series 3 it corresponds to #2 in the 3 o'clock position. Petrol series 3 don't use the #4 position, It is used for glow plugs.
A is at 11 o'clock, S at 8, H at 5.

You may have an aftermarket switch that works but not "Rover"
Hope this helps, also if you don't have a repair manual obtain 1 or 2. On 1 take the binding apart and put it into a 3 ring binder for field use or if you just get 1 copy what you are working on and put that into a 3 ring binder. this way you keep the main manual clean for reference.

gene