PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Banjo wheel on S3 ?

LH Drive
11-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Since im swapping in an early S2 bulkhead I'd like to get rid of my smaller Mountney steering wheel thats on my 88" S3. Would like to install an early banjo bakelite spoke wheel. I've read about the spline count being different and they will not interchange.
Will I need to swap in the complete S2 steering column/gear box to make this work? or Will the S2 steering column fit on my current S3 steering gear box?

I Leak Oil
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
I *think* you can swap the column with the box but to be honest, it's probably much easier to just swap the whole thing.

CMorris
11-25-2011, 04:42 PM
Far easier to find and swap a S2/early 2A column and box into your truck. The real trick will be finding a nice banjo steering wheel.

LH Drive
11-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Far easier to find and swap a S2/early 2A column and box into your truck. The real trick will be finding a nice banjo steering wheel.

Okay, looks like i'll be picking up the complete LHD column/box and wheel from the S2 donor i've been buying parts from. The banjo thats on this S2 isn't in that bad of shape. The bakelite has a few small hairline stress cracks and needs a repaint.
Will post picks when I get it.
Just wanted to ask before I purchased some parts I didn't need. Thanks for the kind replies.

siiirhd88
11-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Check the steering box mounting bolt size, as your SIII bulkhead support might have the larger 7/16" holes for mounting the later box. The earlier boxes use smaller 3/8" mounting bolts, which if used on the later support can cause the box to move around a bit if the bolts loosen, leading to vague steering and wandering. You might want to pickup the bulkhead support while you are gathering parts.

Bob

czenkov
11-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Okay, looks like i'll be picking up the complete LHD column/box and wheel from the S2 donor i've been buying parts from. The banjo thats on this S2 isn't in that bad of shape. The bakelite has a few small hairline stress cracks and needs a repaint.
Will post picks when I get it.
Just wanted to ask before I purchased some parts I didn't need. Thanks for the kind replies.

I have a nice steering wheel cover on mine. I bought my SII from Leafsprung in Oregon. Highly recommend the cover.

ignotus
11-26-2011, 01:34 AM
You can always take the 2 inner columns and have the top of the 2 cut and welded onto the bottom of the 3. Rover did this with putting the ends together of the inner columns.

gene

LH Drive
11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, the S2 column shaft (top) is a larger diameter than S3 shaft (bottom). Picked up this complete S2 column/wheel for a fair price but had to remove it myself. Thanks for telling me to grab the box mounting bracket.

LH Drive
11-26-2011, 02:20 PM
The banjo wheel metal is in great shape. The outer hard plastic material is in worse shape than I thought. Many cracks to fill and some layers to build up till I get a smooth surface before I paint.
Is there anyway to date this wheel? The only stamp I found is a small cCc logo. Maybe more will turn up once its clean.

ignotus
11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Is there anyway to date this wheel?

You could try having a friend introduce you and then asking it out. :^)

I couldn't resist......
gene

LH Drive
11-26-2011, 05:27 PM

You could try having a friend introduce you and then asking it out. :^)

I couldn't resist......
gene

HAHA, I mean the year of the steering wheel? I couldn't find any vin plates or stamped vin on the front horn. Both horns were badly rusted.

TeriAnn
11-26-2011, 06:08 PM

I will try to resist ... Must not let fingers type what they would like.

Steering wheels with the horn button first started appearing in 1960. Before then the horn button was on a stalk. Plastic spoke steering wheels started appearing for the 1966 model year. That's as close as I can get. You can try small talk when you take it out on a date, but if it is female you should never ask its age. Unless of course you need to make sure it is 18 years old or over.

Partsman
11-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Hey LHD, what are you planning on doing with the signal switch on that steering column? You wouldn't be interested in passing it along to a needy fellow forum member would you? :o

LH Drive
11-26-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey LHD, what are you planning on doing with the signal switch on that steering column? You wouldn't be interested in passing it along to a needy fellow forum member would you? :o

I'm glad the column came with the Tex-Magna-Lite switch or i'd also be looking for one. Plan to use it on my build and hope it works. I'm doing a complete S2A bulkhead swap on my S3 and the reason i'm installing the banjo wheel. Sorry I could't help.

SafeAirOne
11-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Steering wheels with the horn button first started appearing in 1960... ...Plastic spoke steering wheels started appearing for the 1996 model year

Presumably you mean 1966, as my '73 has plastic spokes? ;)

TeriAnn
11-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Presumably you mean 1966, as my '73 has plastic spokes? ;)

OOOOPPSss I meant 1966 model year. My fingers some times miss a key. :o

o2batsea
11-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Banjo wheel? Really? OK. To each his own.

They rust and they aren't as comfortable in the hand as the plastic wheel.