PDA

View Full Version : Power steering options

Skookumchuck
11-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Has anyone here put The HST/TDZ power steering system on a series Rover? it looks simple enough with out the need to change steering boxes or any major fab work. I want to put in the power steering so I can go to a smaller steering wheel and get some more room for my knees. any advise or experince is appreciated:thumb-up:

I Leak Oil
11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Are you referring to the Haystee Automotive contraption?

Skookumchuck
11-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Yes I am, it doesnt' look that great so I was wondering if anyone has tryed it? It looks like a hydrolic booster but if it works well it is a consideration as I have not been able to find a Scout powersteering box and the other needed parts.

slorocco
11-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Try looking on binderbulletin.org or Pirate4x4 for the scout steering box. Binderbulletin is an international harverster forum/site. Pirate covers all brands/makes

msggunny
11-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Use a p38 steering box. There are a few on Ebay now for a decent price.

albersj51
11-28-2011, 07:50 PM
To throw another option out there, you can use an FJ60 box, which of what I'm going with. Www.seriestrek.com has details. The rover TRE's fit and the pitman arm works as is.

Skookumchuck
11-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I really like your build page. will the FJ60 box work on the 109? If so I think that may be the way to go. I have a bud who has a FJ60 sitting in his back yard so I may be able to get the box cheap.:D

albersj51
11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately, that is not my page; it belongs to MercedesRover.

TeriAnn
11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Are you referring to the Haystee Automotive contraption?

There are a few UK companies that have offered a hydraulic ram style power steering conversion over the past few decades. I understand that is it based on a Santana design. These conversions are mostly bolt on and require minimal fabrication skills.

The Scout steering box is a very good box but they are hard to find, often expensive. They are a good fit on a Series frame rail but coming up with a steering arm and modifying it for the LR tie rod ends take a bit of effort as well as the lower steering shaft.

The P38 box is very reliable, available in RHD and LHD, and the P38 steering arm works with the Series tie rod ends and is the correct length. The P38 lower steering shaft can be reused as well. So grabbing the P38 box with steering arm & steering shaft save you both money and fabrication work.

The only negative is that the vertical shaft on the P398 box is a tad long for the Series frame so the top of the box does not sit directly on the frame. It requires a little more fabrication on the adapter plate that goes on the side of the frame.

So until all the P38s hit the recyclers the P38 steering box conversion is the current hot set up.

greenmeanie
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
The Scout steering box is a very good box but they are hard to find, often expensive. They are a good fit on a Series frame rail but coming up with a steering arm and modifying it for the LR tie rod ends take a bit of effort as well as the lower steering shaft.

A Disco 1 pitman arm works with a Scout box. No mods required. They are getting hard to find in the scrappies but you can buy new/rebuilt ones from the Scout part dealers at a price you'd expect. Overhaul kits are available dirt cheap at any Autozone.

I Leak Oil
11-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Picked up my scout box at a swap meet for $25. Seen a couple more at different times for $50 or less. If you're looking to buy one off fleabay then you'll probably pay too much.
I'd go with the scout, FJ or P38 conversion or stay stock. No direct experience with it but that Haystee unit looks like nothing but trouble if you go anywhere but pavement with your truck.

albersj51
11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
if you want the Scout box, try www.binderplanet.com in the for sale section. I used to own a Scout II and they come up on their fairly often when people are breaking one down.