PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Clutch question- 1969 88 S

GWP1969IIA
11-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi,

The family and I just got back from pushing our 1969 Series IIA up the driveway. My 15 year old is learning how to operate the rover and was doing well up until that point. While trying to start he released the clutch too quickly-- we heard and felt two pops and the rover just wouldn't engage any of the gears.

We do not have any (new) hydrolic leaks. The master clutch cylinder under the access panel looks okay along with the pedal itself. The slave cylinder looks okay too. Perhaps it is the slave mounting bracket that we heard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post pics too.

Thanks

SafeAirOne
11-27-2011, 05:02 PM
With the engine running and first gear engaged with the clutch out, does the rear drive shaft spin (take precautions--wheel chocks, for example-- to ensure you don't get run over, should something catch).

If the rear driveshaft spins, you've probably broken a rear axle shaft, which is not terribly uncommon for old Rover axles in high-load situations.

LaneRover
11-27-2011, 05:21 PM
With the engine running and first gear engaged with the clutch out, does the rear drive shaft spin (take precautions--wheel chocks, for example-- to ensure you don't get run over, should something catch).

If the rear driveshaft spins, you've probably broken a rear axle shaft, which is not terribly uncommon for old Rover axles in high-load situations.

I think this is a very good place to start!

You could also put it in 4 wheel drive and see if it will move while in 4 high (or 4 low). If you have locking hubs make sure that they are locked!

GWP1969IIA
11-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the quick responses!-- the rear drive shaft does NOT spin with the engine running in first gear with the clutch out. I then put it in 4 wheel drive with no movement either.

SafeAirOne
11-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately, that's not good news.

If you remove the middle seat bottom and the seatbox hatch, you'll see 2 rectangular inspection covers on the top of the transfer case. Remove the upper, larger one.

With the engine running and the transmission in 1st gear, clutch pedal released, does the gear under the inspection cover spin?

If not, you've possibly broken a shaft in the transmission. If so, you might have done something inside the transfer case.

GWP1969IIA
11-27-2011, 08:55 PM
The sun has set for the day so I will try tomorrow-- thanks for helping me through this. More to come.

GWP1969IIA
11-28-2011, 05:39 PM
The gear under the inspection cover does spin! (I took a picture but am unsure how to load) That was the first time I had ever seen the gears in motion-- pretty cool.

So I guess I may have something wrong in the transfer case?

Thanks again for helping

SafeAirOne
11-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Well...It seems as if power is getting to the input part of the transfer case, but is not getting to the output (front or rear, by your earlier description).

Are you SURE the red lever is not in neutral (the middle)? Did you cycle it all the way back then all the way forward? You can have it in 4wd high (yellow knob down) but still have red lever in neutral and get the symptoms you describe.

The transfer case is prety robust and just about foolproof. There's not much that can go wrong in there.

Do you have an overdrive installed?

GWP1969IIA
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Just got back from doing a victory lap and sending everyone positive land rover karma!!!!

That was a newbie error, but an overall positive experience. My son and I got to learn about how the clutch works and appreciate the access and inspection panels. And there is that import lesson about the red lever--sigh... And best of all the good folks on this forum got us there--- THANK YOU!!!

SafeAirOne
11-28-2011, 07:37 PM
:thumb-up: