PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driving

Billy5
11-28-2011, 05:14 PM
I am curious how many guys use their series as their dd for everything? If so, how have you enjoyed it and what did you do to make them more "friendly" for lack of a better word..lol

derekchace
11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I use my 82 exmod 109 amd my wife uses a 83 D110. I love using both of them

Ncrover725
11-28-2011, 08:41 PM
I drive my ex mod 109 to work between three and five times a week with each round trip being approx 25 miles. I also drive it around town throughout the weekend. Since august I have completed a 1000 mile, 500 mile, and 180 mile drive. My rover is pretty much stock and could be better I guess. I have actually went the wrong way regarding comfort. I replaced my old tore up basic seats with exmoor deluxe seats. That was a huge mistake. For some reason the 50 mile drives feel like 500 now. One improvement I made was I cut up some gym floor matting to serve as floor mats. I must say I drive it because it's different and quirky. By no means is it my most reliable or best 4x4 I have owned. As long as I remind my self about why I drive it then I think it's a much better ride and I don't feel let down.

luckyjoe
11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
NC,

What do you dislike about the exmoor highback seats? I've thought about those for a long time...

Ncrover725
11-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Joe,
I have the exmoor deluxe seats. They are like the standard seats, but are pleated. They are not high back. For some reason the seat bottom has a hard foam ridge that runs right up the middle of my thigh / butt when sitting. Its not a flat seat cushion. I was also looking at the high back seats to replace the ones i just bought. My wife would ****** me though if i bought another set of new seats. Those will come in time.

luckyjoe
11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
The early "genuine" deluxe seat bottoms with "dunlopillo" foam are the best, but they are all getting long-in-the-tooth by now. You could scrounge around for an old, useable, set of seat bottoms . Or possibly talk with an auto-upholstery shop about re-foaming your seats...

SafeAirOne
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I am curious how many guys use their series as their dd for everything?

Probably get a little more play on this if you posted it in the Series forum, but...

Except for 1 or2 winters when my rover took a self-imposed vacation, I've driven my 109 daily for 7 years now.

If so, how have you enjoyed it...[?]

Sometimes it is miserable torture. Sometimes it's great fun. More fun than torture overall.

...and what did you do to make them more "friendly" for lack of a better word..lol

Installed a rover diesel to make it more wallet-and-remote-travel-friendly. Other than that, not much. Radial tires, maybe. The world is full of "friendlier" cars. I didn't want any of those, though. I hear Ford Explorers and Nissan X-terras are friendly. ;)

Billy5
11-30-2011, 09:03 PM
True, but I was afraid to because its not "technical"..lol. Thank you for your advice by the way. I dont really want "friendly" either to a degree. I have deluxe seats so thats a plus. I was curious as to what some have done. I dd mine, ( hence all my damn questions), and get nervous one in awhile but getting over it. Thank you for replying.:)

Funny you mention Xterras, I drove through a nissan dealership and stopped to look at a pick up, one of the shop guys " you are not trading that..for one of these POS?"..I said um..no.

SafeAirOne
11-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Funny you mention Xterras, I drove through a nissan dealership and stopped to look at a pick up, one of the shop guys " you are not trading that..for one of these POS?"..I said um..no.

That's the difference between the shop guys and the salesmen. One's more honest than the other :D

Billy5
11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
They spent at least 10 mins looking, asking, it was quite nice I must say. I have a ball using it everyday, even though I get all nervous and ask tons of dopey questions, to which I am grateful and hope to return favor. :D

Rat Patrol
12-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I use my 88 as a DD. Its not bad provided you keep the proper mind set...0-60 mph this week and to heck with the rat race.:nono:

Rat Patrol
12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Joe,
My wife would ****** me though if i bought another set of new seats. Those will come in time.

I hear that. Mine flipped when I discussed replacing the original seats. Too bad you can't just purchase the hi-backs w/o the bottoms

transalpian
12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
I DD my 74 series III 88" for a 60 mile round trip commute and for general life-imposed driving around tasks.

For me, OD is essential. Highways are still boring, but not dangerous with OD.

I've upgraded the headlights which helped me significantly.

Other that those, +2 on the correct mindset.

Rat Patrol
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
OD is a must for attempting anything above 40mph, IMHO. If I'm just running around town I don't even bother but highways, as you mention, are an entirely different thing.

73series88
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
i put used bestop jeep seats in mine.
75 bucks. so comfortable. longest ride ive taken is 6 hours to winter romp. no back issues at all. i sit in my wifes mazda 3 and im squirmiing in 5 minutes. the tuffy box is very comfortalbe as a arm rest / coffee holder.
i do drive mine everyday to work and around town. getting up at 530 and getting into a cold rover to goto work isnt fun for the first couple of miles in the winter. but maybe if i ever get my heater blower fixed it iwll be fine.
aaron

siii8873
12-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I drive a series truck every day work , play, chores, everything. Have also used them on a trip of 900 miles one way and a number of 300 mile trips one way. Mostly in my SIII witha SIIA exmod as a backup. I don't have many issues with doing so. I have not done much over a stock truck. I do have a bit of sound dampening which helps with noise. I will say that I would have been in a bind for a while had I not hade a backup truck.
Prefer driving these over my wifes toyota.

Rat Patrol
12-23-2011, 08:50 AM
getting up at 530 and getting into a cold rover to goto work isnt fun for the first couple of miles in the winter. but maybe if i ever get my heater blower fixed it iwll be fine.
aaron

I know the feeling. Mine warms up for 15-20 minutes before I ever venture out and then it take 5 or so miles to ge the tranny warm.

You have a heater that works? :D

Rat Patrol
12-23-2011, 08:51 AM
i put used bestop jeep seats in mine.
75 bucks. so comfortable. longest ride ive taken is 6 hours to winter romp. no back issues at all. i sit in my wifes mazda 3 and im squirmiing in 5 minutes. the tuffy box is very comfortalbe as a arm rest / coffee holder.
i do drive mine everyday to work and around town. getting up at 530 and getting into a cold rover to goto work isnt fun for the first couple of miles in the winter. but maybe if i ever get my heater blower fixed it iwll be fine.
aaron

Did you have any issues with the seat mounts?

73series88
12-24-2011, 07:18 AM
nope
took the tracks out and bolted right up through the seat box.
they fit right inbewteen the original bottom seat frames
so i didnt loose the rigidty of the seat box. opened up a hole in front of the toolbox that i never use any, and put some fender washers and nylock nuts so they dont loosen up. dropped the gas tank on the other side and did the same thing. have fun
aaron