PDA

View Full Version : Rusty floors: How much is too much

slorocco
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I've got a 91 RR that i was going to start fixing up but have found that the front floors are very rusty. Pass side is not too bad there is about an 8x10 area that I'll need to cut out and weld up. The drivers side is much worse. Over 1/3 to 1/2 of the drivers side floor will have to cut out and patched in plus quite a bit of the drivers side kick panel as well. Anyone know of a source for RR floor repair panels?

At this point I'm not sure it's worth messing with. BTW, the RR has been sitting for about 4 years and will need some mechanical love as well.

mongoswede
11-29-2011, 03:40 PM
I've got a 91 RR that i was going to start fixing up but have found that the front floors are very rusty. Pass side is not too bad there is about an 8x10 area that I'll need to cut out and weld up. The drivers side is much worse. Over 1/3 to 1/2 of the drivers side floor will have to cut out and patched in plus quite a bit of the drivers side kick panel as well. Anyone know of a source for RR floor repair panels?

At this point I'm not sure it's worth messing with. BTW, the RR has been sitting for about 4 years and will need some mechanical love as well.

If the rest of the truck is clean and rust free then it might be worth repairing. If the rest of the truck is so so then it all comes down to how badly you want to keep this one on the road. My general thoughts on vehicle rust are: if the rust can be easily cut out and a patch welded in than thats simple and less expensive. If rust penetrates complex bends or folds in metal or gets into more structural areas then things get interesting. If you have replacement panels or a donor vehicle you may be ok but some of that rust work can be a real bear.

slorocco
11-29-2011, 08:54 PM
If the rest of the truck is clean and rust free then it might be worth repairing. If the rest of the truck is so so then it all comes down to how badly you want to keep this one on the road. My general thoughts on vehicle rust are: if the rust can be easily cut out and a patch welded in than thats simple and less expensive. If rust penetrates complex bends or folds in metal or gets into more structural areas then things get interesting. If you have replacement panels or a donor vehicle you may be ok but some of that rust work can be a real bear.

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't have a lot invested in this at this point. If it's just the floor panels I may fix it. If the rockers are shot it's going to get more involved than I really want. I need to get it running first and see how that it as well. If it doesn't run on top of all this other stuff then it's just a parts vehicle. It's one of those "It ran when I parked it" stories.

o2batsea
11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Dan, sorry I forgot to send you the link to YRM Metal Solution (http://www.yrm-metal-solutions.co.uk/index.asp)s. See if they have what you need.

slorocco
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
I had found that link and checked there, they've got just about everything else but no front floor pans for a RR Classic.