PDA

View Full Version : Whitworth / christmas

JHK07
11-30-2011, 08:55 AM
This may seem silly, but just asking. Do I really need any Whitworth tools in my bag for my 59 ? The only time I have had something non standard not work is on the Vents below the windshield. Anything mechanical I have wrenched on seemed to be standard stuff, the cosmetic is goofy size.

Do I need the whitworth ? If YES, sockets or open/ closed combo ?
It's either this or a Big Jug of Gear oil from my mom. Happy Holidays and safe travels.

TeriAnn
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
This may seem silly, but just asking. Do I really need any Whitworth tools in my bag for my 59 ?

Yes. Primarily for some bolts in the axle assemblies, transfercase and if I recall the gearbox. But just a couple sizes will do. You don't really need a whole set and if you get a set look for used tool sets from the English bike crowd.

I have a single combination wrench that handles most of the stuff I have left. It is 1/4 BSW at one end & 5/16 BSF at the other. I mostly use it to remove the top access nuts on the transfercase top plates as I top up fluid by pouring it down an access plate opening instead of using an oil pump while laying on the ground.

You can usually fake it with metric wrenches but it is seldom a good proper wrench to bolt head fix.

One thing I have done over the decades is where there is a bolt & nut I have been replacing them with US spec bolts & buts, national fine. But you obviously can not readily do that when a bolt is threaded into a casting.

Anyone have a list of what Whitworth size fits which bolts on the truck?

JHK07
11-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Hmmmmm, I top of my Transfer case and gearbox from inside the truck with no transfer pump. Gearbox... no tools. Transfer case I took the middle seat out and used Regular sockets no problem...... They were caked in grease, so they were probably bigger! Or changed already by PO.

Thank you..... no sense in buying a whole set.

Dormobile.......Very Envious !!!!

SafeAirOne
11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Having just inspected my transmission and removed, rebuilt and reinstalled my transfer case, I can tell you that the proper tools are desireable. Or, more accurately, not having the proper tools stinks.

SafeAirOne
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Just came across this site (http://www.stumpie.com/tech/gearbox/) detailing a transmission rebuild with a fairly good description of the Whitworth spanner sizes required for series transmission work. In the "Before You Start" section it says:

Whitworth combination spanners. The transmission, being at least partially a 1930s design, is covered with BSW and BSF fasteners. Ordinary imperial AF sized tools just don't fit. The sizes of spanner which came in handy were:

3/16 Whitworth: the little nuts on the studs holding the transfer box sump on, and sundry other fasteners such as the detent spring retainers
1/4 Whitworth: lots of things on the front output shaft housing
5/16 Whitworth: all over the place, but especially on the selector forks and the back of the transfer box. A 15mm spanner or socket almost fits, being rather snug, but just won't go on to some of the nuts.
3/8 Whitworth: the nuts holding the mounting brackets on to the transfer box

In addition, you'll need a cranked 5/16 Whitworth ring spanner (or a 5/16 Whitworth socket) for the nuts inside the transfer box which fasten it to the gearbox. There's no other easy way to get at these.
There are a couple of larger nuts which I suspect might be 7/16 or even 1/2 Whitworth - the centre detent spring holder and the main gearbox drain plug. They're easy enough to get an adjustable spanner to, though.

Skookumchuck
12-08-2011, 07:00 AM
great info I need to print this off and put it where Santa can find it and do her magic. Ho Ho Ho She thinks I am nuts driving this old truck that requires you to carry a set of tools with you. I love it:D

antichrist
12-08-2011, 08:02 AM
I've rebuilt a number of Series Rover drivetrains and the only fasteners where a metric or SAE didn't work fine, IIRC, were the bell housing to gearbox bolts.

SafeAirOne
12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I've rebuilt a number of Series Rover drivetrains and the only fasteners where a metric or SAE didn't work fine, IIRC, were the bell housing to gearbox bolts.

You're right, it can be done--but you can tell that the tools aren't right. You have to use 6-point sockets on lots of the stuff bacause 12-point won't get a bite without rounding over the nuts/bolts. Still, the 6-points don't put the force on the head of the bolt/nut in the correct place like the proper tools will.

Most of us don't do enough transmission/transfer work to justify a Whitworth set, however, British Fasteners (http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/Whitworth-Tools)sells several Whitworth tool sets that vary in price and quality. The cheaper Indian ones (Everest Tools (http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/everest-tools)) are probably sufficient for most of us. If you want to spend a bit more, King Dick (http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php/categories/abingdon-king-dick-tools)Whitworth tools are out there too.

antichrist
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
It also helps to have some not so common SAE fractional sizes, like x/32nd.