PDA

View Full Version : The Right One For Me?

garycox
12-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I am seriously considering bidding on this 1967 Series IIA. I would appreciate any opinions, suggestions, insights, etc the experts here might offer.

I have been lurking here awhile and really like your forum. Thanks for any help you may offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=200681537005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_500wt_1182

Regards

Gary

SafeAirOne
12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I would recomend that you inspect it in person or find somebody Series-knowledgable and trustworthy to have a look at it.

The condition of the rear crossmember and the footwells often tell the story of the chassis and bulkhead.

The fact that the truck lives west of the Mississippi doesn't necessarily mean that it has "very little rust" by default. The pictures tell that story. Maybe if it spent all its days in Yuma or Tehachapi it'd be different...

Still, if the price is right and you go in knowing the extent of the work that needs to be done to it it might be worth it to you.

I figure it's getting close to, if not AT its market value at $4000.

This nice 109 hasn't even been sold at $6750 and it's super-straight and appears to be a lot more solid (by the pictures) than that 88:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?p=78098#post78098

redmondrover
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
As stated in the description, there are two large rust holes in the rear crossmember above the rear spring hangers. Also looks like A low compression 7.1 head. Finally, no telling what the front horns look like under the winch mount. Experts on this site can confirm, but it looks like it comes with a Kodiak heater--a plus.

Don't get anxious -- look around as there are good trucks out there for sale.

4flattires
12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Ask about the disappearing side steps. They appear in some pics, but not all. I'm less concerned about the tires beautified with (gasp) Armorall. :o

It's nice looking. Spend some time with the owner on the phone and ask more detailed mechanical questions about it. The written ad tends to focus less on that and more on body/interior.

My 2c.

leafsprung
12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I like it better than most. Its honest. Not anything to hide under faded paint. Its original not been messed with. Good level of battered/used but unbowed/abused. A good vintage. 67 was the last year for positive earth and the kodiak heater option. It has an 8274 warn which is an awesome winch though the mounting is mediocre. The rust looks relatively minor/non terminal, the firewall looks good (harder to repair nicely than the frame) Id rather see rust like this than see a new rear crossmember because most of the time they are welded on crooked. Trucks like this are far better buys than 99% of what you see on ebay and they don't really come available that often. The price is very reasonable currently. I'd bid on it, but I would expect to spend a lot of time fixing a lot of little issues. :thumb-up:

o2batsea
12-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Concur with Ike 100%. If your goal is to restore it, This looks like an excellent starting point. Think of the purchase price as the acquisition fee, and not the eventual total cost.
There are some obviously costly things right up front; the LF wing has a good dent in it. Ike prolly can help you out with that but jeesis, those things are like gold any more. Ditto most 2A body stuff. Also the frame needs to be replaced with a galvy one....
I would say conservatively that a restoration will be in the 12-15K range once you stop opening the wallet and begin bolting things back together.
67-8 is THE BEST years for a Land Rover. After that they went down hill.

garycox
12-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I have no experience with Land Rovers, but do have experience with numerous vintage autos.

I am not looking for a restored vehicle or even a pretty (to most) one. I think Ike said it best when he called it honest. That was my thought too, but having no experience with this make, I feel better with the conformation. My goal would be to sort it all out and have a reliable driver with all the original patina intact. I wish it did not have the fender dents and creases, but the paint is very attractive to me, the aged paint and even the surface rust to me almost looks perfect.

Should the foot wells be black?

Oh yea...I think 1967 was just about the peak for just about any make...after that they all started going downhill...and I was 6 years old in 67!

Thanks again.

jac04
12-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Gary-
I like the vehicle a lot for the reasons already mentioned. I did a complete restoration on a similar unmolested 1963 88" with 53K miles on it. If the bulkhead and door frames are in decent shape, it's a very good starting point for whatever you want to do with it.

Personally, I like the patina. I'd do a galvanized frame, new hydraulics, get Ike to build you a proper bumper for that winch (or sell it & install a standard bumper), give everything a once-over and drive it.

Edit: Just saw your reply Gary. I like your plan. Just straighten out the dents a little & leave them - they're character marks. No, the footwells shouldn't be black. Someone has most likely performed some repaires or painted them to try to keep the rust in check.

bmohan55
12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Having bought my first one off of E-bay a few years ago, sight unseen....I wish I hadn't. As others said, purchase price is just the starting point, this one seems like an honest representation but sooner or later they all seem to need major work at this price. I would not buy again without checking one out in person or having a knowlegable person inspect it for me. Things to look for on inspection are summed up in this link.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.look_for.html

good luck, despite being in way over my head I still love my Series!

dawgvet
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Did the OP win the auction? I did like the looks of the vehicle as I prefer original patina. What do you all think of the price for the apparent condition of the truck? Curious as I am still contemplating my first Series purchase.
Thanks,
Jedidiah

garycox
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I was not able to get this one. I am new to the land rover world as well, so cannot comment on the price. I too like the look of the unrestored vehicles.

I have been loosely watching the internet and that one seemed as "real" as any.

We all know the entry fee is just a small part of the cost and I am sure that one would have been no different. The timing is just not quite right for me right now so I was only interested in that one at a little less than the sale price.