PDA

View Full Version : Hey, there's no light in here!

Dietersrover
12-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Hello all.
Took my Series for a drive last night, and couldn't see a thing.
Now, I knew there wasn't a light of any kind on the inside, but I was just wondering what most of you do. I guess the obvious answer is a flashlight or torch.
Any creative ideas?

SafeAirOne
12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Now, I knew there wasn't a light of any kind on the inside...

Are you driving a soft top? I think everything else generally came with a dome light at one time.

Why not just get a 12v light and plug it in to the dome light wire?

Even if you are driving a soft top, all you'll need to add is a ground wire to run a dome light.

Having suggested that, I haven't had a dome light since I pulled my hard top--I just do it all from memory at night. Nothing changes position; gear shifter, handbrake lever, key slot, switches, etc. are all in the same spot...

rickv100
12-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I have a soft top and I don't have any problems driving at night. The dash lights are sufficent. I keep a flashlight in the truck though.

Rick

bmohan55
12-02-2011, 08:29 AM
I have one of those stick-on, push on-push off lights on my headliner when I need to rummage around the truck.

TedW
12-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I wired up the dome light in my soft top when I switched over. Piece of cake. Just use a hose clamp on the hoop and attach the base of the light to the tail of the clamp (bolt or rivet (your choice). All grounded and away you go.

mongoswede
12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
I have been thinking that some LED string lights would work great as interior rover lighting. You can get them in all sorts of colors and lengths and they are low power draw. I was thinking you could run a strip down each side of the roof in that flat troth above the doors. You could put a strip of clear lights on each side and a strip of red...the red could be flipped on when driving down the road for less impact on your night vision.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qceAvE1JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Cutter
12-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I did something like Mongoswede describes in my 109- I got this led set from ikea for $30 and mounted one led segment above each of the doors in the troth, and the other two in the roof hard top grooves in back. I ran the wires through the folded cross supports of the roof which was a pain but clean things up. I lopped the transformer off since it is native 12v and tied it directly to my gauge light switch as I have my gauges tied into my headlamp switch. My truck never had a dome light, or the 3 ways switch for the gauges/dome that NAD trucks seem to have. It really lights up the interior quite well.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20119418/

albersj51
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I plan on going the flex LED route as well. Put some under the dash and other strategic areas, like the back of the rear bulkhead, and you should be good to go

mongoswede
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
On a side note...the 109 that i am rewiring had no interior lighting other then the stock dome lighting when I picked it up. I drove it off the trailer and into my garage in the dark one night...the inside of the truck had foolishly been painted black by a less knowing previous owner. The truck was so dark that if you did not have a headlamp on or turn on the dome light you couldnt even find the damn shifter :D That said, the dome light actually worked really well.

cedryck
12-02-2011, 05:03 PM
my series 2a had a dome light, I think I remember the feed being a purple wire with a small white stripe, look for that wire.

Ncrover725
12-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I purchased two battery powered LED stick on (Velcro) light from Lowes a few months ago and have been very happy with them. Batteries last forever, it will never drain my main battery, no issues with them getting wet, and I can un Velcro them and use them as an additional work light under the hood. I placed one above the cab and one above my rear door.

Dietersrover
12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I do have a canvas top and have been using a flash light.
I like the LED ideas, may have to look into that.

masonater
12-03-2011, 07:08 AM
I know the LED strips were mentioned. A while back I was at Pepboys (why, i dont know) and they had some strip LED lights maybe just over a foot long and they put out a very nice white light. I stuck it under the lip on the bottom of the dash on my 70 IIA and it lights up the cockpit perfectly. It comes with a cheapo switch and some sticky tape. I think it cost around 25 bucks. I like it because its not bright at all but lights up the entire floor area. I think you can use either a battery pack it comes with or hardwire it.

SeriesShorty
12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Dieter? It's Jen!!! When the heck did you get a Series???? Guess I haven't been around much. LOL

We want to see your new truck...that way I can remember what a running truck looks like. ;)

mrdoiron
12-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I do have a canvas top and have been using a flash light.
I like the LED ideas, may have to look into that.

I did the LED route, and a friend helped to fab up with Alum a dome light fixture in a shop at work on the weekend - added a this flexible lexan for cover. The LEDs are from AutoZone, come in configurations with sets of 4 LEDs in a plastic potted config.. so daisy chained 3 of those together in this set up, and mounted to the roll cage...

mrdoiron
12-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I did the LED route, and a friend helped to fab up with Alum a dome light fixture in a shop at work on the weekend - added a this flexible lexan for cover. The LEDs are from AutoZone, come in configurations with sets of 4 LEDs in a plastic potted config.. so daisy chained 3 of those together in this set up, and mounted to the roll cage...

Also made a couple small aluminum hat-sections to mount plunger switches, and now the light comes on when the doors open. Almost feels too civilized :-)

Dietersrover
12-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Very very cool.