PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Hide wanted

o2batsea
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
To those who may have a stash of old door cards that you just can't seem to figure out what to do with, let me take them off your hands. As some of you are surely aware I'm in the middle of a total resto on the 109 Wagon. I have some EH but not enough to recover some of the panels. If you have any, especially larger pieces as on the front door lowers, please allow me to take it off your hands.

Thanks

daveb
12-06-2011, 11:59 AM
i just sold my whole stash a few months ago.

Les Parker
12-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Hello there,

Try Don Flye, sponsor of the All Metal Dash Weekend.

TeriAnn
12-06-2011, 01:23 PM
A problem with old stock is that it ages in storage. A friend reupholstered his Dormobile using old original stock from Dunsfield. Looked really good. But after about 4 years of active use the old material started cracking and it is now due for a replacement. Like tyres, the original vinyl ages over time even without use.

Almost a year ago I got new elephant hide door panels from Exmoor. What I got was a decent match to the original. When they fist started offering elephant hide reproduction seats & panels the colour was way off. It was very silvery. Then new stuff is much better and way more gray. If you are going to use the truck on a regular basis I suggest buying new Exmoor trim panels & seats. Besides getting the upholstery sewn right to fit the arm rests is a pain.

Just a suggestion for longevity.

o2batsea
12-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Actually I have some pretty good arm rests that just need foam. I'm also looking for a good substitute for the fiberboard panels. I think a plastic product of some kind that has a good density, can take glue and be stiff enough and not warp and....

My nuclear option is to use hardboard like Masonite but soak it in thinned epoxy resin so that it's waterproof.

The old stuff is getting pretty dried out by now, so it has to have some vinyl conditioner worked into it, be gently heated, and stretched. I'm only doing the door cards and trim panels. Seats are getting redone in leather.

cedryck
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I suppose this is a good thread to ask this question. Terry, (or anyone else) how are the exmoor elephant hide seats from our hosts? Worth the extra money? Myself and my family tent to slide around a bit on the smooth black seats of my exmod. thanks.

Momo
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
The googles found this:

http://www.perfectfit.com/15994/156771/Upholstery-Fabrics/Dillon-PVC-Free-Coated-Fabric.html

Looks like a fairly close match...