PDA

View Full Version : Series III progress update.....

knac1234
12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
All,

Pictures coming today or tomorrow, but the alpine roof is now reassembled and on the truck! First time the shield, roof, vents, etc... have been in one piece and on a vehicle in at least 15 years!! Very cool.

I just have to tighten some of the bolts, align a couple of things, and have the windows installed tomorrow. Caulk the drip rail one more time and that's that!

Couple more questions:

-Bonnet/hood--on the sides there is a gap....always has been on both sides. Was there ever a rubber seal that went along the side edges of the bonnet to prevent water intrusion??

-My inertia reel 3 pt seatbelts have conked out. I cannot pull them out at all. Am ordering new ones from RN (Proline).....any other suggestions or lower cost alternatives?

-The heater cable to the heater control valve needs to be secured (so when I push the lever in the cab, it opens and closes). Does anyone have a pic of what holds the cable in place at the top of the heater control valve??

Very close....thanks for all the help! Monday is the goal to drive her out with just headliner and trim panels left (maybe bench seats also). We'll see!

Julian

stomper
12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
I removed the inertia reels from my truch to allow for a soft top, and while they were off the truck, they were locked in place, and I could not get them to reel out. once I put them in the truck again in the correct orientation, they work fine. perhaps this is the case with yours? When they were out of the truck, the safety catch on the reel must have thought the truck was on it's side or something.

My heater control cable is fasened to the heater valve with a metal "P' clip. I don't have a picture handy, but others will surely chime in.

knac1234
12-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Stomper.....

I tried for 30 minutes every orientation possible on the bench. They were mounted directly behind the front seats horizontally. No luck though.

Thanks....P clip is a start.....probably what's missing....not seeing one on the RN site for sale though :(

Julian

luckyjoe
12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Try holding the seat belt reel's mounting tab in a vice. Properly oriented, the belt should pull right out. The inertial reels are sensitive and you cannot hold it stationary in your hands.

SafeAirOne
12-07-2011, 09:48 AM
If you're talking about the bit that holds the heater cable SHEATH on the valve (the "P" clip) , it can be seen here:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6471977197_23ee0d7cdf.jpg

If you mean the bit that holds the CABLE ITSELF, it looks like this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6471977257_8c99c80a87.jpg

As for a seal between the bonnet and the wing, the SIII parts catalogue doesn't show any seal, though I've seen people add a piece of bulb-type weatherstrip to the bottom of their bonnet to close the gap up.

I figure that the gap is a good way to let heat escape from under there during hot weather operations (and a good way to squirt the fire extinguisher into the engine bay without opening the bonnet ;) ).

TedW
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
If you're talking about the bit that holds the heater cable SHEATH on the valve (the "P" clip) , it can be seen here:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6471977197_23ee0d7cdf.jpg

If you mean the bit that holds the CABLE ITSELF, it looks like this:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7028/6471977257_8c99c80a87.jpg

As for a seal between the bonnet and the wing, the SIII parts catalogue doesn't show any seal, though I've seen people add a piece of bulb-type weatherstrip to the bottom of their bonnet to close the gap up.

I figure that the gap is a good way to let heat escape from under there during hot weather operations (and a good way to squirt the fire extinguisher into the engine bay without opening the bonnet ;) ).

Julian:

I have the clamp parts that go on the heater valve - if you need them.

Ted

siii8873
12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Julian,
those inertia reels can fool you. I bought a set and tried like crazy to get them to work, no luck. I called the place I bought them from ans they convinced me to install them. Once in place they have worked well. I would never had believed they would work. I could not get them to work at the bench.

knac1234
12-07-2011, 01:08 PM
All,

Thanks.....will try installing them then and see what happens. Would rather not shell out the $ for something that is fine.

Ted....will be in touch with you....I think that's what I am missing....will check tonight! After all this work, I want everything to work correctly! It was -18F yesterday morning when I left for work, so the heater is definitely a priority!

Julian

Dav1550
12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
All,

Couple more questions:

-Bonnet/hood--on the sides there is a gap....always has been on both sides. Was there ever a rubber seal that went along the side edges of the bonnet to prevent water intrusion??

Julian

Part # MRC5640
They are part of sound deadening package of sorts on Swiss spec. trucks, which included insulation under the bonnet and rubber skirting in the wheel wells… They’re liable to be some other applications where they would have been used on some diesel models but they’re not regularly fitted.

knac1234
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Dav1550--
thanks....looked that up quickly and found another forum also believing that this part might "hinder" engine cooling! May pass on that.

Julian