PDA

View Full Version : Noise after rebuild

pcphenom
04-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Need some help with a couple of questions....just got done with the rebuild of my 3.9. I have two positive wires coming from the stud on the firewall...one goes to the starter, where does the other go? It's pretty short, but for the life of me I can't find where it went originally.

2nd question, I started up the motor....let it run at around 1000 for a minute or so, then around 1500-2000 for about 10 minutes...it got good and warm and I am getting a solid 25-30psi oil pressure and good drips of oil from the rocker assy. For kicks I put it into reverse and drive and I'm getting a horrible noise....it sounds like a diesel engine idling, what the heck could that be? Tranny? Engine? Like I said, the noise is only there when under load in drive or reverse. I'm not a pro mechanic, but I've done rebuilds before and took my time with this one (about 4 months), so I'm 99% sure I did everything correctly during assembly.
Thanks again folks.
-Ed
'89 RRC
Colorado Springs, CO

CliftonRover
05-01-2007, 12:22 AM
If the noise only occurs under load then I can't imagine the problem is in the motor seeing that you warmed it up and reved it. what abou the engagement of the t- case. I know its simple, but I know nothing about auto tranny's so its all I could come up with. as far as the wire, if everything else works it could be someone else's hack job.

J!m
05-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Possibly a balance issue? I am quite sure the torque converter mates up to the flex plate (or flywheel in your case- I'm not sure how the Rover automatics are stacked) in a specific orientation to keep the system in dynamic balance.

A slight out-of balance condition will shake a car to pieces...

Typically, everything is marked with paint when disassembled, and/or pictures are taken to ensure all pieces go back exactly the way they were...

Maybe someone near you has a range rover you could look at for the wire. It is also possible that it is piggy-backed on the other wire. I ran into a problem where the large gage wire from my alternator broke at the connector because it did not have enough flex for the washboard roads of North Africa. I spliced in two short pieces of smaller gage cable, to allow more flex, and it remains to this day. Just a thought. Also, do all the electronic gizmos work in the car now? I have a fuse box under the hood as well as one under the dash of my 110. perhaps that second wire feeds another power distribution source?

CJH
05-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Check exhaust manifold gaskets for leakage, both manifold to head & manifold to Y-pipe. Will make a racket under load.

pcphenom
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks all, turns out it was an exhaust leak.....I torqed down the manifold bolts a little much and stripped a couple out....hell of a noise when there are multiple leaks. A couple of helicoils and I'm good to go.
Thanks again for your replies.
-Ed
'89 RRC
Colorado Springs, CO