PDA

View Full Version : Front prop shaft boot

kwd509
12-11-2011, 12:43 PM
These might be the most inane questions in quite some time....
1 - why is there a boot on the front prop shaft, but not the rear?
2- is there any positioning guideline for the boot..... Marks left from the long gone prior boot suggest it was larger, or stretched considerably at install.
3- Just so happens that identical clamps sold me by the hosts fit at one end but not the other........ Suggesting I need to locate differently, or a larger clamp needed. Neither green bible or parts catelog shed light on this.
Thanks...

jac04
12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
The genuine boot kit comes with the proper clamps.
The boot should be installed so that it can take the full range of motion of the splines. IIRC, it will be stretched somewhat with the propshaft in its normal position.

SafeAirOne
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
And don't forget to install the clamps 180 degrees to each other to maintain the balance of the propshaft if you use hose clamps or similar...

jcutler
12-13-2011, 10:01 AM
I had the same problem with the hose clamps - I bought front and rear boots and RN sent 4 of the smaller end clamps. I found the same brand/type (Norma) for the bigger end at www.caphardwaresupply.com - "40-60mm Torro Thin Clamp". Not sure why our hosts don't supply the right clamps... If you got 4 of the big end ones maybe you got mine and I got yours...

deezgunz
12-13-2011, 10:30 AM
My ex-mod has boots on both props so I can't speak for a civvy model although I suspect it may have been removed or fallen off over time. The clamps I received with my kit were too small so I replaced them with larger hose clamps readily available at any auto parts store. When I did some prop work I separated the prop shaft into two pieces carefully marking both pieces with a lumber crayon to insure proper reassembly. I installed one end of the rubber boot to include the larger hose clamp. On the free end I put another hose clamp around the boot and put the prop shaft back together lining up the marks. Once it was together I compressed the shaft until it was bottomed out and tightened up the hose clamps. This will allow for maximum expandabilty of the boot.

jac04
12-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I had the same problem with the hose clamps - I bought front and rear boots and RN sent 4 of the smaller end clamps. I found the same brand/type (Norma) for the bigger end at www.caphardwaresupply.com (http://www.caphardwaresupply.com) - "40-60mm Torro Thin Clamp". Not sure why our hosts don't supply the right clamps... If you got 4 of the big end ones maybe you got mine and I got yours...
My Genuine boot kits came with the Normal clamps with a spring insert, not the regular clamps. The spring insert helps maintain clamp tension.
Like this: