PDA

View Full Version : S3 Starter bolts/studs

keithg
12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Well, I started digging into my "new" S3 and confirmed that the starter is bad. I ordered a new one from Britishstarters but I may have some issues in removing the old one. I noticed that the bolts are heavily rusted and I suspect I'll end up breaking them off in the removal process. Depending on how they snap off, I may need to drill them out. Are there any issues with drilling through the bellhousing and using bolts or do I need to use studs?

Les Parker
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Hello there,

The starter should be held on with studs and nuts, it would be unlikely to break one or both off. I would suggest liberally coating with a product such as Liquid Wrench or similar and let is soak overnight, before removing the nuts.
I have just done the same job on an 88" that has stood outside unused for 10years and the nuts came off without much stress at all.

:)

keithg
12-14-2011, 10:38 AM
The issue is that there aren't any threads left on the exposed part of the studs. I'll need to replace the studs at the very least as long as I can get them out.

deezgunz
12-15-2011, 12:18 AM
As Les said you should have no problem taking the bolt out after spraying them with some penetrating lube. If you happen to snap one off you can easily drill it out or use one of the bolt stud removal kits.

Les Parker
12-15-2011, 08:48 AM
RN has the studs, # 247145 Stud @ $1.04 each and # RNE396 Nut @ $0.51 each.

:thumb-up: