PDA

View Full Version : good wrench in the dallas area? engine swap?

dfwerdoc
12-15-2011, 01:54 AM
two questions:

1 what shop or mechanic would you guys take your series rover to in the dallas area? i just need some basic stuff done and don't want to take it to a dealership and get ripped off.

2. any commuting in the dallas area requires highway driving. at what point would you guys think about swaping our 2.25 motors for something more modern with more hp/torque. what's the single best modern motor. i've read some older threads on this and teriann's site but im wanting the most recent info. for a series 2a, 88? is the 200tdi the most straightforward conversion? thanks.

Skookumchuck
12-15-2011, 08:14 AM
I am putting in a 200TDI into my 68 109 as it is to me the easiest swap. Just make shure you get defender headers and turbo setup. my motor was out of a Disco but cam with the Defender headers and turbo set up. I will be doing the engine swap hopefully over the Holidays when I shut down the construction crews for ten days and can get into my shop.:thumb-up:

mongoswede
12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
two questions:

what's the single best modern motor (i've read some older threads on this and teriann's site but im wanting the most recent info;) for a series 2a, 88? is the 200tdi the most straightforward conversion? thanks.

Unfortunately I don't think there is a single best motor for a series conversion. There are probably 10 good diesel options and maybe 25 good gas engine options. The real challenge with upgrading a rover engine is determining whether to do a transmission swap too. The stock box is not built to handle a ton of torque.

TeriAnn
12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
The stock box is not built to handle a ton of torque.

And that has gotten worse as genuine gearbox parts become NLA and all you can find are substandard aftermarkets parts for a rebuild. Figure a stock LR gearbox is good for about 120 HP. More only if you drive as if you have an egg between your foot & pedal.

And don't forget you have to deal with gear ratios as different engines have different RPM sweet spots.

If you have a 109 and want a diesel, a 200tdi with LT77S or 300tdi with R380 either with a Ashcroft transfercase modified for part time 4WD would be prime candidates.

If you are going for an American engine, Advance Adapters makes a series of adapters to go between strong light truck gearboxes and a Series transfercase.

Timm Cooper currently favours the GM Vortec engine family for his conversions.

mongoswede
12-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Timm Cooper currently favours the GM Vortec engine family for his conversions.

Would those be the Gm 3.8 and 4.3 V6's? Both of which are very common and decent engines and fairly compact too.

TeriAnn
12-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Would those be the Gm 3.8 and 4.3 V6's? Both of which are very common and decent engines and fairly compact too.

He has been using the "small" block V8s.

o2batsea
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM
There is no such thing as a straight swap for engines unless it is one for one. If converting to something like a 200 Tdi, you will have to modify the frame, the cooling system, the brakes, the fuel system, the wiring and the exhaust. If you want that with an R380 and LT230, it'll require new axles and prop shafts and even more frame mods.
Best just refurb what you have and live with it. High flow head, fatter cam, and headers with a 2V carb are all good upgrades.

LaneRover
12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
and an overdrive

dfwerdoc
12-16-2011, 08:52 AM
great advice here .. thanks for the input.