PDA

View Full Version : plastic grille

transalpian
12-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Greetings again!

My series 3 has (what some people call) the unfortunate plastic grille. However, I like it (for some reason). I don't think it's the original as it has 109 molded into it (and mine is an 88").

All that being said, someone painted it in the (likely recent) past and the paint really isn't adhering well.

What is the best way to paint these?

Thanks again!

bkreutz
12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
All of the various paint manufacturers (Dupli Color etc) carry a plastic specific paint. As with any other paint application, preparation is the key.

masonater
12-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I have used Krylon Fusion spray cans with very good results. Painted bumpers and trim on my grand cherokee and 2 years later it still looks great. Krylon claims no prep needed but a light sanding and a wipe down doesn't hurt.

transalpian
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
OK, got it for the grille in general.

What is recommended for the black in-fill on the L-R logo?

bkreutz
12-15-2011, 12:21 PM
"Testors" model paint? and a small brush. :D

albersj51
12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
OK, got it for the grille in general.

What is recommended for the black in-fill on the L-R logo?

I read of someone using a glue.on the letters (like a rubber cement that you can roll off with your fingers), spray the thing black, then pull the stringy glue off.

SafeAirOne
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Any chance you can post a picture of the "109" on the grille? I don't think I've seen one like this and I'm kind of curious.

Rat Patrol
12-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Let me know if you get in a bind painting the grille. I painted my spare.

transalpian
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Any chance you can post a picture of the "109" on the grille? I don't think I've seen one like this and I'm kind of curious.

You can see the paint quality I'm dealing with here.

I was only 1 off; it says 110, not 109.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6801/grillesmall.jpg

widerberg
12-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi, Transalpian:

That's a reproduction grille. I have an original grille on my 88", but it's got several broken "holes" in it and it's definitely seen better days. Our hosts were out of stock when I tried to order a replacement, so my wife surprised me by ordering a grille from another supplier. It's exactly as yours, with the 110 embossed on it and the filled-in plastic sides (the first three "columns" of holes on either side of the central element, which is not at all like the original). Mine is actually in pretty horrible condition, with the paint literally rubbing off in my hands and it looks to be a really poor casting. And that's brand new :-(

I'm holding on to it, just in case I can't find better, but I'm really on the hunt for a NOS or good quality used grille. The reason I even mention this is that unless you happen to really like this grille, they're not near the quality of the original. It may be worth hunting an original down and repainting that. It will look more, well, original and probably last years longer.

artpeck
12-16-2011, 08:58 AM
My S3 grill was flaking and pretty ugly. Before painting it I bought a replacement from our hosts.
Part#: PLB918
Price:*$69.25*

It is very close to the original.

amcordo
12-17-2011, 02:53 PM
I have a spare, original plastic one if anyone really wants one.