View Full Version : Tag lamp lens, needed

rastaman
12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Dropped my tag lamp lens and broke the Glass...looking for a source
thanks

bkreutz
12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I don't know if this lens is plastic or glass, might be worth a phone call:D
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5950-lens-license-plate-lamp.aspx (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/../store/p-5950-lens-license-plate-lamp.aspx)

jac04
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
You can also buy a whole new Genuine plate lamp assembly from RN, but it is plastic, including the lens. I know that the glass lens will not fit into the new ass'y designed for the plastic lens.

If you strike out getting the glass lens from our hosts, drop me a pm. I know I have at least one.

Terrys
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
You can also buy a whole new Genuine plate lamp assembly from RN, but it is plastic, including the lens. I know that the glass lens will not fit into the new ass'y designed for the plastic lens.

If you strike out getting the glass lens from our hosts, drop me a pm. I know I have at least one.
Are you sure about the 'genuine' part? I'll grant you, it looks like the original, but pretty sure they are made in India.

jac04
12-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Are you sure about the 'genuine' part?
100%. Came in a sealed Land Rover box.
Available here:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6847-lamp-assembly-number-plt-series-defender.aspx

SafeAirOne
12-16-2011, 09:29 PM
Are you sure about the 'genuine' part? ...pretty sure they are made in India.

Yes and yes again, I'd be willing to bet. They're probably made right next to the place that makes the lousy genuine rear lamp assemblies.

Terrys
12-17-2011, 01:19 AM
Ah, so the box is genuine, at least. Still, the current replacements are, A) made in India, and B) crap quality.

jac04
12-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Wow. Tough crowd.
Mark- I'll take that bet.
Terry- Have you seen the Genuine all-plastic tag lamp? Check one out.

See, before I write something, I try to make sure what I'm writing is accurate. So, I checked what I bought before I posted. Genuine, all plastic and made in England. "Made in England" is molded right into the lens.

People like to bad-mouth the all-plastic lamps for some reason. I found the Genuine all-plastic tag, parking, stop & signal lights to be good quality. The tag light I received in a Genuine Parts baox was made in England. The other lights were in Genuine boxes and made by Perei, which is an OEM supplier. They manufacture world-wide, so I don't know where the lamps are made, and I can't recall any markings on the light. Maybe they are made in India, but the quality is fine. Lots of people think the Wipac lamps are the same as Genuine because some vendors tell them that Wipac makes them for Land Rover. Having held the Wipac lights in my hand next to the Perei lights, I can tell you that the Perei lights are much better quality.

SafeAirOne
12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
OK Jeff--I'm going to order a (presumably) genuine rear brake/tail lamp assembly (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-5963-lamp-assm-stop-tail-defender-90-110-style.aspx)from our hosts based on your testimonial of the quality of the genuine item. At least I THINK it's genuine--It doesn't specifically say "genuine" and you can't tell by the picture and the price is the same as what everyone is selling the junk ones for.

I really hope the bulb doesn't pop out of this RN lamp assembly as somebody testified earlier, because I've already got a new light assembly that does that. It is REALLY driving me insane!

EDIT:

People like to bad-mouth the all-plastic lamps for some reason....The other lights were in Genuine boxes and made by Perei, which is an OEM supplier.

Just checked mine. They have "PEREI" molded into the lens and they are junk! Maybe the lenses are top notch but the bases are pure rubbish. Enough hijack. I'll post a very detailed comparison between the assembly I receive from RN and the crappy, defective PEREI one I am now using in another upcoming thread.

jac04
12-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Mark - Definitely let us know how the Genuine lamps compare to what you have. They may indeed be the same lamps. The RN catalog link you posted is for a Genuine lamp. The product picture has the Land Rover Genuine Parts logo right on it. The part number also starts with "R" versus "P". R will almost always indicate a Genuine part while P will indicate ProLine.

I just went out and disassembled a few of my Genuine Land Rover Perei lamps, including a stop/tail lamp. The bulbs fit very nicely into the sockets with no slop at all and they twist & lock into place perfectly. My only complaint is that it can be a little difficult to get the lens properly seated in the rubber ring before tightening the screws.