PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedo

Alk-3
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey folks. I'm thinking about fitting a gps speedo to my land river. I have non stock tires, which make the original speedo not very accurate, plus I'm Canadian, and the speedo is in miles per hour rather than Km per hour... And lastly, the last cable I installed lasted less than ten minutes before it got fried by the exhaust and stopped working.. Yet again. It's been unplugged for a while, and I've just used my iPhone with a gps speed app. I like this setup a lot as I can set the trip odometer, and can get actual gas mileage calculates very easily.

So my questions are does anyone have experience with these units? Are there commonly ways to program the odometer to pick up where my old one left off?

mongoswede
12-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey folks. I'm thinking about fitting a gps speedo to my land river. I have non stock tires, which make the original speedo not very accurate, plus I'm Canadian, and the speedo is in miles per hour rather than Km per hour... And lastly, the last cable I installed lasted less than ten minutes before it got fried by the exhaust and stopped working.. Yet again. It's been unplugged for a while, and I've just used my iPhone with a gps speed app. I like this setup a lot as I can set the trip odometer, and can get actual gas mileage calculates very easily.

So my questions are does anyone have experience with these units? Are there commonly ways to program the odometer to pick up where my old one left off?

why not just stick with the iphone? I use a car cradle with my droid and a speedo app..works great.

Andrew IIA
12-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I have a Garmin GPS unit in my 88". It give me an accurate speedo and a clock. Oh, and a map :)

Don't know about the odom question.

TedW
12-19-2011, 08:33 AM
why not just stick with the iphone? I use a car cradle with my droid and a speedo app..works great.

Which iphone do you have?

mongoswede
12-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Which iphone do you have?

I have a Droid 2. I use the Speedview app which shows speed, odometer, max speed, average speed, and I can turn on a Heads Up Display mode for night driving that inverts the numbers and then projects them onto the windshield so you can see your speed hovering on the windshield glass...works pretty well.

HUD example:
http://cdn3.staztic.com/screenshots/speedometer-hud-144-2.jpg Have not tried it in the rover.

http://www.androidfreeware.net/img2/speedview_android_speedometer_2.gif

Alk-3
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
I upse an iPhone 4 with the tom-tom iPhone docks. the dock is great because it has a gps unit built into it to make the iPhone more accurate. The reason I don't want to continue with this system is that if I want to you use google maps for directions, which guide me along the rout, I cannot use the speedo app at the same time.. I also would like to have more permanent setup built into the truck as right now my speedo just sits there not working, taking up space. I would at least like to log my milage.
Does anyone have any experience with the built in speedo's? they all seem expensive (on the +side of $300) and go up to like 220kmph. They also have very little in the way of features that I can tell. very basic for the price of them, considering what gps costs these days.