PDA

View Full Version : Badger 88 alpine headliner install....any tips?

knac1234
12-19-2011, 08:50 AM
All,

Maybe a bit premature as the box comes today, but I ordered a new headliner from Badger for the "new" alpine roof on my 88 Series III. Would like to attempt it tomorrow.

Has anyone installed this? If so, any pics or tips? I believe I have all the parts and have powdercoated the bows, etc.... with the other stuff I had done. Of course, they were in bins/boxes with the rest of it!

I know Badger has good support and recommends calling with questions, but thought I'd ask!

Cheers,
Julian

o2batsea
12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
The best way is with the roof upside down on saw horses. You are working with and not against gravity that way.
If it is not possible, then you will need a helper.
Other than to say that you should use stainless fasteners, it's pretty straight up job.

TedW
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
The best way is with the roof upside down on saw horses. You are working with and not against gravity that way.
If it is not possible, then you will need a helper.
Other than to say that you should use stainless fasteners, it's pretty straight up job.

This is how I did it. Upside down is the only way, in my view - although I just laid the top on the lawn and went at it. I took my old ratty headliner and sewed a copy with marine upholstery material - couldn't be happier with the outcome.

As good as mine fit, I suspect that the Badger product will be much, much better.

knac1234
12-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Definitely stainless fasteners.....most everything, if not everything, I reassembled was using stainless!

Well, unfortunately the roof is now completely bolted down and the sunshield bolted and riveted in place! I had at first thought that upside down would be the way to go, however Chris at Badger told me to not install it this way, stating it would fit better doing it on the car (or on saw horses, but again upside down). Seems counterintuitive, but what's done is done!! Looks like a helper will be in order (AKA WIFE)!

Hoping I do not find out that some bow or bit is missing.....will let you all know the outcome soon!

Julian

TedW
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Definitely stainless fasteners.....most everything, if not everything, I reassembled was using stainless!

Well, unfortunately the roof is now completely bolted down and the sunshield bolted and riveted in place! I had at first thought that upside down would be the way to go, however Chris at Badger told me to not install it this way, stating it would fit better doing it on the car (or on saw horses, but again upside down). Seems counterintuitive, but what's done is done!! Looks like a helper will be in order (AKA WIFE)!

Hoping I do not find out that some bow or bit is missing.....will let you all know the outcome soon!

Julian

Julian: I forgot I was talking to you! The last thing you'd want to do is to lay that pristine union jack down on anything.

Once you assemble the two sections you will find that they are semi-rigid and not too bad to maneuver - and they don't weigh much, so your long-suffering spouse won't have too much trouble holding them in place.

Ted

CRiordan01
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I was reading this forum and tried searching for Badger on the web but all I seem to find is the Wisconsin variety. Do they have a website? I would be interested in seeing pics of the headliners...

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add with respect to your install.

knac1234
12-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Corey,

The website page is:

http://badgercoachworks.com/index_files/Page1619.htm

You might have to use Firefox as a browser instead of Explorer.....that was the only way pics would come up for me when I was looking to buy it!

Still have not opened the package yet.....maybe today.....have the day off and am cleaning out the garage in preparation for the Series' return!!

Julian

siii8873
12-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I bought one of these to install on a truck. They are pretty nice. My install was attempting to put it in, didn't like the results, took it back out and let it go with the truck when I sold it. I do have a full set of hoops and slats if you're short any parts.

knac1234
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Bob,

Thanks! I just opened the instructions, and there are no pics! There are references to front and rear bows, which would be easy if I had removed the existing headliner, but parts in a box with no reference will be difficult!

Any clues....do you have pics available of what the front bows and rear bows on the alpine look like?!!! And any other bits?

Regards,
Julian

fishguy
12-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Any clues....do you have pics available of what the front bows and rear bows on the alpine look like?!!! And any other bits?

Regards,
Julian

Call Chris @ Badger, he can walk you through it...

siii8873
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Julian,
I did not have the safari top so can't speak to weather they are the same as a regular top. The very front bow is smaller than the rear two. The tabs that connect the bows to the top are different for the back two. It's been a while since I took these out. I'll dig mine out it might refresh my memory, hate to guess and potentially send you down the wrong road.
Bob

Les Parker
12-22-2011, 01:51 PM
The 88" in my garage has one fitted.
I'll take some pix this weekend if it'll help

knac1234
12-22-2011, 02:21 PM
All....thanks!

Les....I appreciate the pics....that will help some. Of course, the bows will be hidden inside of your headliner, but a finished 88 headliner to look at will be one less puzzle to solve!

I will indeed call Chris....maybe he has a diagram or pics of the individual bits.

Julian