X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donnie
    2nd Gear
    • Apr 2007

Perkins diesel

I have noticed over the years that some folks favor the Perkins diesel for their Rovers...Can anyone tell me what these engines were originally in ? Donnie
    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......
  • gambrinus
    1st Gear
    • Jan 2007

Why? Have you ever looked at the numbers for the 2.0 perkins engine?

Comment

• antichrist
      2nd Gear
      • Mar 2009

Depends on the Perkins. The 4.208 was probably the most common conversion and they were used in many many different OE applications with many different configurations. As just one example, when I did some conversions there were 4 or 5 different piston/liner combinations to choose from.
      There were also industrial, agricultural, and vehicular (the one of choice for a Rover conversion) models.
      Even the vehicular is a relatively low speed diesel, but they are incredibly rugged engines (I had a customer run his without oil until it seized and even though the bearings were trashed the crank, because it was nitrided, only needed polishing).
      Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
      in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
      67 NADA x2
      74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
      95 D1 - R380
      95 D90 - R380
      97 D1 - ZF

Comment

• yorker
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by gambrinus
        Why? Have you ever looked at the numbers for the 2.0 perkins engine?

http://www.nhua.co.uk/conversion/dajpage10.htm

I think most people just see this

mid 30s mpg can be expected
        1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• JohnOFromJersey
          Low Range
          • Nov 2007

I'm running one in my '70 IIA and love it. HP numbers aside, I can do an honest 80MPH on the highway (seriously!) and it cruises happily at 75 MPH. (that's accurate GPS speed, not a Lucas random number generator). In about 8 tank fulls I'm averaging about 32 MPG. Pulls up hills with no problem too.
          Two buts though:
          1) I have it mated to an LT-77 trans so I've got a 5th gear. You're not going that fast with a Series box unless you have an OD or 5 speed.
          2) It's a loud engine - sounds like you're driving a mini semi. Especially when starting cold. Kind of an acquired taste.

As for source - these pretty much all came out of early 1990's Rover Montego's and Sherpa Vans from the UK. They only existed in the US as a fixed engine (generators and such) and I believe as a Volvo marine engine.

It's definitely an engine with personality. :-)

John O

Comment

Working...