PDA

View Full Version : Perkins diesel

Donnie
12-22-2011, 05:27 PM
I have noticed over the years that some folks favor the Perkins diesel for their Rovers...Can anyone tell me what these engines were originally in ? Donnie

gambrinus
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Why? Have you ever looked at the numbers for the 2.0 perkins engine?

http://www.nhua.co.uk/conversion/dajpage10.htm

antichrist
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Depends on the Perkins. The 4.208 was probably the most common conversion and they were used in many many different OE applications with many different configurations. As just one example, when I did some conversions there were 4 or 5 different piston/liner combinations to choose from.
There were also industrial, agricultural, and vehicular (the one of choice for a Rover conversion) models.
Even the vehicular is a relatively low speed diesel, but they are incredibly rugged engines (I had a customer run his without oil until it seized and even though the bearings were trashed the crank, because it was nitrided, only needed polishing).

yorker
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Why? Have you ever looked at the numbers for the 2.0 perkins engine?

http://www.nhua.co.uk/conversion/dajpage10.htm

I think most people just see this

mid 30s mpg can be expected

;)

JohnOFromJersey
12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm running one in my '70 IIA and love it. HP numbers aside, I can do an honest 80MPH on the highway (seriously!) and it cruises happily at 75 MPH. (that's accurate GPS speed, not a Lucas random number generator). In about 8 tank fulls I'm averaging about 32 MPG. Pulls up hills with no problem too.
Two buts though:
1) I have it mated to an LT-77 trans so I've got a 5th gear. You're not going that fast with a Series box unless you have an OD or 5 speed.
2) It's a loud engine - sounds like you're driving a mini semi. Especially when starting cold. Kind of an acquired taste.

As for source - these pretty much all came out of early 1990's Rover Montego's and Sherpa Vans from the UK. They only existed in the US as a fixed engine (generators and such) and I believe as a Volvo marine engine.

It's definitely an engine with personality. :-)

John O