PDA

View Full Version : Clutch pressure plate.... Is it good?

kwd509
12-25-2011, 06:00 PM
I am preparing to replace the clutch. The friction surface seems fine but the bushing in the center seems wobbly, so the friction plate will be replaced. As for the pressure plate, the surface seems very smooth with no cracks and only very minor discoloration and flat surface. Can in reuse it? The assessment of the pressure plates seems only one aspect..... The spring mechanism is something that seems outwardly fine. I don't want to disassemble unnecessarily. My rover, while abused does not seem to have been heavily used (shows limited, even minimal mechanical wear).
Advice, thoughts? Would prefer not to buy a new cover/pressure plate unnecessarily, but if it is needed, I will do. But how to tell?

& fyi, Other nearby components to receive attention and/or renewal- pilot bushing to be replaced. Flywheel to be skimmed, and rear seal to be closely examined and replaced, if necessary
Advice? Thoughts?
Thanks and merry Christmas.

Nium
12-25-2011, 07:04 PM
If you're already in there might as well replace the rear main seal now then replace the clutch disc again later when the rear main seal fails.

Personally I'm of the opinion that when replacing the clutch disc I replace the pressure plate assembly, throw out bearing, bush in flywheel (soak in oil for a day before installation per Green Bible), and the rear main seal. If the rubber boot in the bell housing (for the actuating arm from the slave cylinder) is worn replace that too or just replace it.

My $0.02

Merry Christmas!

kwd509
12-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Nium, if I understand your $.02 correctly, you advise replacing clutch disc, pressure plate rear seal all more or less in anticipation of all the parts (except ironically the press plate) failing a second time........

I have dreams of this restored rover spewing oil from all the replaced seals, which is exactly what would have happened if I did nothing.....

Merry Christmas!

deezgunz
12-26-2011, 11:23 PM
I just replaced my rear seal and completely replaced the clutch components. As labor intensive it is to gain access to the clutch I would replace everything and you'll be good to go. The cost is not prohibitive and usually you can buy a whole clutch replacement kit. I got a bit hung up about checking the runout on the flywheel but the tolerance measurements are in the thousands and it was a non-issue once I reassembled everything.