PDA

View Full Version : Steering box question

jcutler
12-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm rebuilding my SII steering box. Question relates to the bearing races. As I understand, the one at the top is fixed in place, and the one at the bottom moves to adjust the inner column end play (by way of shims). Is the upper race a press fit or does it slide in easily? It can't come out because it's held in place by the outer column, but mine can be slid in and out by hand - tight fit, but certainly not a hydraulic press. Is this okay?

Thanks,
Joel

greenmeanie
12-28-2011, 03:25 AM
A bearing race should never be a press fit requiring a hydraulic press. You are typically looking at mere thousands of an inch of interference per inch of diameter if any at all. High press fits defrom the races wihich results in wear.

The mechanics trick for installing bearings is to heat the part that forms the outer component of the fit in an oven at about 150F for about 1/2 hr to heat soak and therefore expand it. The inner race, especially if you keep them in the fridge overnight will then just drop in with only very gentle persuaion.

To get back on topic however, the upper race is not an interference fit.

jcutler
12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks, greenmeanie. I only used the hydraulic press reference for illustration; I've used the heat/chill method in other places - just ask my wife. It makes her really happy to smell hot metal in the kitchen and see parts next to the chicken in the freezer. The upper race in my box slides in without heating the box and chilling the race; I just want to be sure that's not too loose.

Joel

JimCT
12-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Locktite makes a great product for holding in bearing races and bushings that may me a bit worn. Not sure of the number but I bet you could find it online.

greenmeanie
12-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Just to elaborate you don't need to lock the upper race in position. When you apply the preload the upper race will stop against its shoulder in the upper column. The preload pressure will then hold it in place and prevent it wandering or spinning. This is just a low friction support and not a high speed application so you just don't care about a litle slop in the radial fit. Now ball contact angles can be fun but againits just a low friction support.