PDA

View Full Version : Washer Sprayer Installation, Series II

willincalgary
12-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I've been getting requests for photographs of my new washer fluid sprayers. So I thought I would start a thread.

The parts were scavenged from a '78 Ramcharger. Total project cost was about $15 and maybe 4 hours (including an hour browsing around the junkyard for appropriate parts). I took some time to fabricate from square tubular steel the mounts for the sprayers. I made no major modifications to the sprayers themselves, just bent them to aim at the windshield. The rubber grommets have an outside diameter of 3/8" so you can get a sense of the scale.

I like it because there is very little exterior modification. Most people wouldn't notice them just glancing casually at the truck. At low speeds you get two nice patches in the middle of each windscreen. At high speed you get a good spattering covering the entire windscreen (and probably everything else within 5 feet! It is amazing how turbulent the airflow in front of the windscreen is on a LR). The button to operate them is beside the horn button. Probably could have found a smaller/more discreet button but I liked the feel of the button and its location.

I use the truck as a daily driver all through the winter and was frustrated with having to jump out at red lights and throw snow on the windshield. Hope this is helpful.

willincalgary
12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
More photographs of the sprayers.

TSR53
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Awesome install and resourcefulness! Junk yards are filled with fun parts.

LH Drive
12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Nice, You could install a small PVC quick disconnect on the fluid line for fast bonnet removal.
Hopefully no one will try the spray washer with the vent screens open while driving.

willincalgary
12-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Nice, You could install a small PVC quick disconnect on the fluid line for fast bonnet removal.
Hopefully no one will try the spray washer with the vent screens open while driving.

I hadn't thought of that! Good point. The weather/conditions that you need the sprayers for are generally not conducive to the vents being open.