PDA

View Full Version : Ser III horn - hopefully easy question

MJL
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Horn has two wires connected to it a Brwon/Black wire that is the +12V supplied through the horn switch and a black ground wire.

Does anyone know where the black wire actually attaches to ground? It goes into the wiring harness but I have no idea where it comes out and attaches to ground.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Mike

disco2hse
12-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Probably onto the firewall, or connecting to one of the other earths that also end up on the firewall.

SafeAirOne
12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Most of the forward harness grounds under the grille on the top inside of the radiator support panel, by the bonnet latch on the SIII.

MJL
12-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I ran a new wire from there to the horn to get it working. I'm really curious to find the other end of the original wire because it's probably a bad ground for other things too. The horn would work intermittently.

SafeAirOne
12-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Generally, all the ground wires behind the grille are from the individual lights/components and are either joined with each other using bullet connectors and the old 4-way connector with one wire going to the ground screw or a combination of that plus a ground or two going separately to the ground screw.

Either way, everything's just right there behind the grille, with easy access.

If you think a bad horn ground connection may be your problem, you can easily test the theory by unplugging the black ground wire and fashioning up a temporary ground wire using a spade connector on one end of a wire and a ring connector on the other, then installing it from the horn to a known good ground.