PDA

View Full Version : gearbox shifting problem

siii8873
12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
I am having problems shifting my SIII. I had disassembled the box, replaced seals and bearings and reassembled. The box will shift well going up through the gears and 3rd and 4th are no problem. The problem is downshifting into 2nd or 1st gear. When I slow down and try o shift into second to make a turn the box will not shift into 2nd or 1st.
It just wont go, no grinding. Even when I come to a stop it wont go unless I shift into 3rd and then back to 1st. If I force it it will go.
I have learned to shift it. If i engage the clutch at a higher speed and put a little pressure on the shifter toward second gear when it hits the correct rpm it will slip right in. When at a stop if I double clutch and bump the rpms it will shift.
syncro? Is there something I could have missed during reassembly as I did not have these problems before.

73series88
12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
sorry
no clue
aaron

artpeck
12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Sound very similar to issues I was having that were caused by a degraded ball at the end of the shifter. Not sure why this would be happening to you however after break down and reassembly. In my case the shifter could move from the 1/2 gates to 3/4 (or vice versa) without fully returning the gates to neutral effectively locking out the higher or lower gears.

siii8873
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I have replaced the shifter lever on this gearbox about a year ago because I was having this same type of problem. The end was worn down considerably, corrected the problem then. I examined it before reassembly and did not think there was a problem. Think I'll remove the tunnel cover and see if I can see antyhing if we get some warmer weather (around June up here). Until then I keep driving it like I have been, getting pretty good at it

Les Parker
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
How did the 1st/2nd syncho slide together?
Was there any "notchiness" to it?

I would suspect this as the probable cause.

siii8873
12-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't know if I would've known if it was good. I went with the assumption that it worked fine when disassembled so put it back in. Have not worked on many gearboxes.
Can you post a picture of what a new one looks like?