PDA

View Full Version : head and tail light brush gaurds needed. bad gas mpg

montanarover
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
does any one know were i could find a used pair of the headlight / tail brush gaurds for a series 3.. also what mpg should i be getting out of my rover ? it has the roch. carb on it..my mpg seems pretty bad.

Les Parker
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Our hosts offer these :-

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1546-lamp-guard-front-late-series-iia-iii.aspx

and

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4823-lamp-guard-front-or-rear-series-iia-iii.aspx

:)

disco2hse
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
also what mpg should i be getting out of my rover ? it has the roch. carb on it..my mpg seems pretty bad.

Impossible question to answer.

I think my string is too short and it is braided, how long should it be?

Terrys
12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Les, Does the catalog description "headlamps in grill..." mean the rear guards won't fit over the 4" amber indicator lenses?

o2batsea
12-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Those rear lamp guards come in awful handy when trees sneak up on you from behind.

TedW
12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Those rear lamp guards come in awful handy when trees sneak up on you from behind.

Some of us manage to back into stuff......that's one example of when they are nice to have.

SafeAirOne
12-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Some of us manage to back into stuff......that's one example of when they are nice to have.

Exactly. There are plenty of "opportunities" to travel in an other-than-forward direction when off-pavement. Many of these "opportunities" occur in tight spaces, where you have to reverse into the scrub a bit.

I will grant you that these guards serve no purpose on:

1) Vehicles that never travel in reverse or
2) Parked vehicles

and they have little purpose on vehicles whose tires are unfamiliar with dirt.

On a side note: Trees don't sneak up on you from behind. Trees don't move much at all, really.

montanarover
12-29-2011, 07:19 PM
i need them for when i take small narrow roads to go fishing..i seem to always seem to run into these tough montana bushes that scrape and break something..i am looking for a set of used ones to use not just look cool...

LaneRover
12-30-2011, 07:48 AM
and they have little purpose on vehicles whose tires are unfamiliar with dirt.

On a side note: Trees don't sneak up on you from behind. Trees don't move much at all, really.

You must have very nice trees in your part of the country . . .

LaneRover
12-30-2011, 07:49 AM
does any one know were i could find a used pair of the headlight / tail brush gaurds for a series 3.. also what mpg should i be getting out of my rover ? it has the roch. carb on it..my mpg seems pretty bad.

What mileage are you getting?

I got about 16/17 mpg with a rochester on my 69 109 P-up with an overdrive.

TeriAnn
12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
What mileage are you getting?

I got about 16/17 mpg with a rochester on my 69 109 P-up with an overdrive.

Highway between 15-16 with Rochester in '60 109 Dormobile with roof rack (heavier than pickup). That's at around 55 MPH. Faster you go the worse the mileage.

Round town or on trail mileage really sucked though. About 7 or 8 MPG. Maybe spent too much time exercising the accelerator pump in the carb.

Strangely enough when I converted from a 2.25L LR engine to a Ford 302 V8 with 500 cfm carb, I got identical fuel mileage which leads me to believe that a lot of a Land Rover's fuel mileage issues is based upon its wonderful streamlining. The positive thing is that the V8 has more power at idle than the 2.25L does at peak.

Later when I converted the 302 to EFI the highway mileage only went up about 2 MPG at the same highway cruising speeds but the trail and around town mileage went way up. Almost doubling to around 14 MPG.

What Series folk with the old 2.25L petrol engine need is someone who is really good at EFI develop an EFI conversion for that engine. May not help much if any on the highway but it could make a huge difference around town. And I have discovered that EFI is much smoother on the trail.

Les Parker
12-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Unless there's a sign saying " Heavy Plant Crossing"

:eek:

montanarover
12-30-2011, 11:57 AM
so so true ! but they do grow in your path at times ..at least the branches & brush ..but it's all worth it in a rover and to get to the alpine lakes for the fish...

SafeAirOne
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Highway between 15-16 with Rochester in '60 109 Dormobile with roof rack (heavier than pickup).

That's not so bad, all things considered. I thought it'd be worse than that.

...Unless there's a sign saying " Heavy Plant Crossing"

http://www.stocksigns.co.uk/prodpics/1465.gif

Still not sure what it means, but there is such a sign! Must be a UK/European thing...??

bkreutz
12-30-2011, 12:47 PM

Still not sure what it means, but there is such a sign! Must be a UK/European thing...??

I'm thinking that "plant" is referring to a factory as opposed to the leafy green things. (but this is just a guess:D)

disco2hse
12-30-2011, 01:11 PM
He ain't heavy, he's my brother.

Les Parker
12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Or maybe Robert Plant ?

:confused:

greenmeanie
12-31-2011, 02:35 AM

In this case 'plant' means equipment and in this case it would most likely be construction or mining equipment such as excavators, cranes etc. Anything big, heavy and not road worthy.

It is basically a warning that you might think you have right of way but physics always trumps a sense of self importance.

rejeep
12-31-2011, 11:50 AM
What Series folk with the old 2.25L petrol engine need is someone who is really good at EFI develop an EFI conversion for that engine. May not help much if any on the highway but it could make a huge difference around town. And I have discovered that EFI is much smoother on the trail.

im very surprised that nobody has does and EFI system yet for these motors..

greenmeanie
12-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Its been done with Megasquirt and a TBI. Ignition has been done with Magasquirt and Ford EDIS.

Most enthusiasts like the quaint simplicity of a carb that matches the rest of the truck technology and image with a stock engine.

SalemRover
01-01-2012, 06:50 AM
The rochester does give more flow into the engine and more oomph but is one thirsty carb. I suppose EFI on the 2.25 is a fun little technical project but seems a bit silly to me in terms of both fuel efficiency and performance increase. If fuel efficiency is your thing get a diesel. The only time my 2.25 had real get up and go was with an engine hoist. Embrace the slowness, accept your turtle like meandering with 2.25 variants or replace the engine, oh and transmission. What no salisbury in the rear? have to change that too. Now your cookin but do you really trust those brakes?