PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA lurching fwd or back when starting in Reverse or 1st

LndRvr64
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Happy New Year!

My Series IIA has developed some clutch problems. Started lurching forward or back when starting in 1st or reverse with clutch depressed. Then yesterday while driving I lost clutch pressure for the most part and had to shut her down to get back in 1st gear at a light. Today I drove and had some pressure, but gears engaged with very little clutch pedal travel and had to shut down again at one light to get her in 1st. Looked at master and slave and didn't see any obvious leaks. Topped reservoir off, but it did not seem low enough to have sucked air in the system. Any ideas? Not sure if it just needs to be bled or if the clutch itself is going bad - only have had that happen once and it was completely different symptoms. Also, I noticed that my clutch pedal is not coming up to full height when released.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jack

Terrys
01-02-2012, 01:42 PM
It seems pretty obvious you're only barely putting any pressure on the pressure plate, but not enough to completely stop the gearbox. It's continuing to drag the clutch disc. Climb underneath and while someone depresses the pedal, see how much travel your slave is exerting on the throwout arm. Sounds like not much. You may have some trapped air in the system.
Not fixing this issue, apart from the obvious difficulty shifting, will also mean you're dragging the clutch while stopped, which will result in heat glazing the friction disc and flywheel. Then you'll be in for the treat of changing the clutch out, and having the surface crazing blanchard ground off your flywheel.