PDA

View Full Version : Electrical additions

PH4
05-02-2007, 10:30 AM
I have two IIAs and, cross your fingers, have had no real electrical problems with them but neither one has any additional accessories hooked to the system. They are pretty much setup as came from the factory. I wish to add a few accesories but do not wish to overload system and begin having problems. Any advice on best route to take? Additional battery etc?

jp-
05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
It all depends on the accessories.

It also makes a huge difference if you are going to try and tie into the original wiring, or plan to run new wiring to the accessories.

PH4
05-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I guess that is my question. Should I tie into existing system or create a separate system and, if so, what type of separate system should I create? Thinking lights and a small amp for my Ipod.

jp-
05-02-2007, 03:52 PM
An excellent question, which can be answered both ways.

1. Depending on the amp draw of the accessory, you can tie into a hot wire coming off the fuse box. But then you are trusting that the 40 year old wiring can take the current without problems.

2. Don't trust the wiring and run new leads from the battery (or solenoid as the case may be) to power your additions.

Personally, I would consider all new wiring for high powered lighting (new wiring back to the solenoid).

I think the small amp could be tied into the current wiring system, provided you use a separate fuse in the line somewhere.

109sixer
05-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm in the process of replacing my entire harness. I found a source in
Portland, Oregon http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/KeepItClean/products.lasso . They sell a complete harness for 175.00. Very high
quality... better than " Painless " product others have used.

It's was time to get rid of a 40 year old wiring system that will only cause
problems from now on.

Cheers.