PDA

View Full Version : An observation from a new Rover enthusiast

keithg
01-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I've owned my S3 for about 6 weeks now and I've ordered parts from a few different places and also posted on this site. I've been restoring cars as a hobby for about 20 years and I have to say that the Rover folks have to be the most helpful and friendly group I've had the privilege of interacting with. Every part house has been great and each person that I've spoken to from this forum has been wonderful. Thank you! I appreciate it and I'm happy to be a part of it!

jac04
01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
I agree with you Keith. Land Rover people are very helpful and eager to help out. I'm restoring a 68 Camaro. When I'm on the old Camaro forums it seems that a lot of people are just there to tell you that your carburetor return spring is the wrong color or your tire valve cover caps don't have the proper wording. In the end, you get caught up in details that don't even matter and the project looses its fun factor.

Land Rovers are fun no matter what.

keithg
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
I know what you mean. I have old Fords, two 70's 4x4 trucks, a '70 Mercury Marquis Convertible, and a 2000 Mustang GT Convertible Spring Feature Edition. Most of the other forums are full of people telling you how you should do it their way and your way must be wrong or they would have thought of it.

I've had a lot of fun so far just sorting out the Rover, getting it running, and poking fun at the fact that it sounds like a tractor and has less than 100hp. I had no experience with Rovers prior to buying one but I wanted another 4x4 that was small but not a Jeep. I also looked at a few 60's Scouts but picked the Rover based on parts availability. I'm glad I did.

SalemRover
01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Glad to hear it. You'll need as much camaraderie and sense of humor as you can muster to survive ownership. Over the 13 years of being part of the rover community I have really enjoyed it. Mostly because they winch or pull me out of holes, and offer to help fix my mongrel of a rover.

-Jason

cedryck
01-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Could not agree more. When I ask roverphiles about mechanics, and such, I always find them to be very helpfull, they even share a pint with you on the front wing. Ask and you will receive.:thumb-up:

czenkov
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Rover people are the best! Just go to other marquee forums and read some posts - while helpful they just aren't at the same level.

Lance
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
I to strongly agree, I have messed with so many different types of cars & just about anything else that has a motor forever. I bought my first rover this last summer & it broke down about a month after. Through word of mouth I found two guys in my area that had Rovers, they offered to come to my house and help me (for free!!). They stayed most of the day, we didn't fix it but I was amazed these guys who I had never met came to my house to help just because I had an old Rover:thumb-up::thumb-up::thumb-up:.

gambrinus
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Have you hooked up with the Fort Pitt Land Rover Group yet?

NDNAJNS
01-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm getting that impression as well.

I've had (and loved) my Discovery for six years and recently began my search for an 88 IIA and have had nothing but friendly, informative and helpful conversations with people. Definitely feel like I will be in good company here. This forum is full of so much valuable information, camaraderie and good humor.

leafsprung
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
We are so awesome. I love us :D

73series88
01-05-2012, 07:16 AM
when i got my last series i was on here about ten times a day asking for help. if it wasnt for these guys and gals, i probably wouldnt still have it.
aaron

keithg
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Have you hooked up with the Fort Pitt Land Rover Group yet?

I just joined today! Thanks for the reminder.