X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • archar
    Low Range
    • Oct 2011

Series III clutch slip

Series III 88 weekend driver, one day the clutch started to slip badly -- got it home and noticed that the clutch pedal did not return fully. If I pulled it out by hand the clutch engaged. Haven't driven since, now a few months later the clutch pedal will not return much at all (the clutch does disengage but the pedal doesn't return). Took the fender off, the master cylinder looks newish, no leak, fluid full. Slave not leaking but doesn't look new. Any ideas? What should I check next? Thanks.
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Potential causes that I can think of off the top of my head:
    • Pedal return spring bad (don't think it would cause the clutch to slip though)
    • Binding master cylinder piston
    • Obstructed orifice in the plumbing
    • Binding slave cylinder piston
    • Fault in the mechanical clutch release lever in the bellhousing (not very likely though)
    • Broken springs on the pressure plate (not likely)
    • Corrosion on transmission input shaft splines or clutch disk splines causing binding
    • Badly worn clutch disk (though the pedal should generally return fully)
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• bkreutz
      4th Gear
      • Apr 2010

I've seen instances of a worn disc causing a failure to return on the clutch pedal (not saying this is the case this time, there are other possibilities as well)
      Gale Breitkreutz
      '03 Disco
      '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
      '47 CJ2A

Comment

• archar
        Low Range
        • Oct 2011

So most of the time it is the obvious answer -- the clutch pedal pivot point just needed lubrication. Pedal was binding on the shaft in the tower. Drove it yesterday (back in the garage to finish installing new springs/shocks -- 1 down, 3 to go).

Comment

Working...