PDA

View Full Version : broken spring

siii8873
01-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I was being followed by a friend the other day and when I stopped he said my wheels seemed to be misaligned / offset. The truck has always had a list (left side lower). I pulled it in the garage for and inspection and found my rear left spring completly broken through. In late Nov I was rearended on the rear left corner of my truck(see "interesting meeting" post) Is it possible that this could have broken the spring pack? My thought is that it may have completed the failure of an already weak partially broken spring.

BTW these are a PITA to work on.

SafeAirOne
01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you saying that the spring centering bolt broke allowing the leafs to slide fore and aft willy-nilly (and allowed the axle to do the same)?

If so, judging from your damage pics, I doubt the bump you received from the cop would be enough to snap this bolt, even if you had your brakes full-on at the time. Could be wrong, though. Mercedes Jim could probably provide you with a more educated guess.

Either way, a pretty easy fix, other than getting the U-bolts off. Well...easy if it's not 12 degrees in the garage, that is.

siii8873
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
no all the spring leaves are broken just in front of the axle. The truck has always had a little lean so I think there may have been some broken leaves to start with. I agree that the accident was to trivial to cause all this damage.

siii8873
01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
received new rear springs from host today. Have them mounted on the truck loose with axle in place tonight. Ubolts, setting and tightening tomorrow night.