PDA

View Full Version : The book "land rover series iii reborn"

JBinAlabama
01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Has anyone read it? Was it helpful?
I'm rebuilding a series 2a from a basket case and pointers are welcome:thumb-up:
Thanks,
JB

JBinAlabama
01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Anyone? Is this too new:confused:
Thanks

LaneRover
01-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I haven't read the book but just about any info for a Series III will be helpful for re-building a Series II. The mechanics and basic construction are pretty similar. There will be differences when it comes to brake MC and so on.

jac04
01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm rebuilding a series 2a from a basket case and pointers are welcome...
I've rebuilt a few Land Rovers over the years.
Here's what I've learned:

1) Always have a fire extinguisher handy.

2) Be safe. You're soft & squishy. Most other stuff is hard, sharp, pointy, heavy, etc. ALWAYS wear your safety goggles, respirator etc.

3) Keep your work space clean & organized. Stuff will get pretty dirty & disorganized after a few crazy days of work. Take a 'day off' to clean the shop and put your tools away.

4) Buy the factory manuals (green bible), and use them during re-assembly & rebuilding of components.

5) Invest in a sandblaster and/or sandblast cabinet.

6) If in doubt, take pictures before disassembly.

7) Bag (or box) and label parts as you take things apart. This is especially important for fasteners. Even if rusty or broken, you are going to need them as a reference for replacements.

8) Don't cheap out when it comes to replacement parts. I use Genuine Parts where possible. If you decide to use aftermarket parts, you need to choose them very carefully. There is a lot of junk out there.

9) Have a good plan. I like to tear down the vehicle into major components, then get the rotten chassis out of the garage. I then set the new galvanized chassis on blocks and get ready for the build. Refurbish the major components one at a time then install on the new chassis. This way you are biting off small chunks of the project and seeing progress as you go. It's better for morale I think.

10) Start a build thread here on the forum. There is no better encouragement than your fellow Land Rover owners.

Here is how I did my last project:
http://lightweightlandroverclub.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2008&hilit=

JBinAlabama
01-14-2012, 08:32 PM
THANKS! Great tips (and build thread!)

lincoln lass
01-15-2012, 03:15 AM
I've rebuilt a few Land Rovers over the years.
Here's what I've learned:

1) Always have a fire extinguisher handy.

2) Be safe. You're soft & squishy. Most other stuff is hard, sharp, pointy, heavy, etc. ALWAYS wear your safety goggles, respirator etc.

3) Keep your work space clean & organized. Stuff will get pretty dirty & disorganized after a few crazy days of work. Take a 'day off' to clean the shop and put your tools away.

4) Buy the factory manuals (green bible), and use them during re-assembly & rebuilding of components.

5) Invest in a sandblaster and/or sandblast cabinet.

6) If in doubt, take pictures before disassembly.

7) Bag (or box) and label parts as you take things apart. This is especially important for fasteners. Even if rusty or broken, you are going to need them as a reference for replacements.

8) Don't cheap out when it comes to replacement parts. I use Genuine Parts where possible. If you decide to use aftermarket parts, you need to choose them very carefully. There is a lot of junk out there.

9) Have a good plan. I like to tear down the vehicle into major components, then get the rotten chassis out of the garage. I then set the new galvanized chassis on blocks and get ready for the build. Refurbish the major components one at a time then install on the new chassis. This way you are biting off small chunks of the project and seeing progress as you go. It's better for morale I think.

10) Start a build thread here on the forum. There is no better encouragement than your fellow Land Rover owners.

Here is how I did my last project:
http://lightweightlandroverclub.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2008&hilit=

All good common sense advice.

By the way your rebuild shows what can be achieved. Stunning workmanship and patience. Well done.

Brian

I Leak Oil
01-15-2012, 08:28 AM
I'm rebuilding a series 2a from a basket case and pointers are welcome:thumb-up:
Thanks,
JB

Plan to spend far more time and money on it than you originally expect to. Once it's done you'll want another one, then another ......

Welcome to the sickness!